Music that hits you

Discussion about guitar playing from a diverse group of people with different tastes and levels of experience.
JoeHempel
Guitarnoise Addict

Music that hits you

Post by JoeHempel » March 28th, 2012, 1:30 pm

I've recently come upon an arrangement of a tune that I absolutely love, and playing this arrangement just seems to flow from my fingers even though I've only messed with it for a few hours. I guess it's because maybe I "feel" this song alot more than others that I play.

So as a question to you....do you find it easier to play, and do you think what you play sounds better if you play a particular song that just "speaks" to you from inside?
In Space, no one can hear me sing!

Alan Green
Guitari Lama

Re: Music that hits you

Post by Alan Green » March 28th, 2012, 1:51 pm

There is certainly a greater motivation to learn songs that speak to you, and to work longer at getting them right, but I don't think they're any easier because of the "Wow" factor.

This: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nGS9zlYvtk

jumped out and screamed "Play me!!!!!!!" the instant I first heard it. It took me one year and five months to learn to play the notes (and remember that this is how I play when I'm on stage solo), and now I'm learning how to perform it.
"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger
"I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk

Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

JoeHempel
Guitarnoise Addict

Post by JoeHempel » March 28th, 2012, 2:00 pm

Yeah, I guess maybe it is a fairly simple arrangement, the notes are just placed beautifully, and the pacing and timing and things just "fit". I definitely know the motivation is there if it speaks to you, more so than say a lesson you really don't want to learn. I have found certain things while enjoyable, don't jump out to me as much as they used to and there needs to be some sort of emotional connection to the music I want to play to get that "wow" factor. Even the last few videos I put up, while I loved playing them I haven't had that connection.

Ahh...Dowland...how I wish I could play alot of his stuff...I just don't have a Classical guitar at the moment...had to sell off all my gear but my Acoustic.

Rocket Dog

Post by Rocket Dog » March 28th, 2012, 10:06 pm

I definitely think that individual phrases/sections stay in my memory banks when I learn a piece that really hits me but I don't think that such pieces are easier on the whole.

s1120

Post by s1120 » March 29th, 2012, 4:37 am

Oh for sure! Not that I wont learn a song that doesnt.... but I defenly put more time, and care into a song that means something to me.
Paul B

notes_norton
Guitarnoise Denizen

Post by notes_norton » March 29th, 2012, 6:59 am

I find that all songs that I learn follow the same evolution.

1) Learning the song, developing the song, enjoying it, having fun, getting a nice feeling of accomplishment

2) After playing it for a while and learning the ins and outs of it, especially after experimenting with phrasing, expression and improvisation the song peaks in it's enjoyment for me, I can't wait to play it and get totally elated while playing it.

3) After playing it a lot it settles down a little, there is no more room for exploration. It's still a lot of fun, but unless the audience is extremely energetic, it isn't quite as much fun as it was during the peak period.

Now the variable is in the time it takes to go through all these stages. Songs that I really love tend to stay in the peak zone longer. More technically challenging songs tend to stay in the learning/development stage longer.

And a few songs (not many at all) songs go to stage 4

4) No longer challenging in any way, but played pretty much the same way every time - in other words, worn out. I only do these songs when requested, but the funny part is this, once I start playing the song, I forget that it's worn out and have a good time playing it anyway.

Insights and incites by Notes
Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com Add-on Styles for Band-in-a-Box and Microsoft SongSmith

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

Gotdablues

Post by Gotdablues » March 29th, 2012, 11:12 am

Did you ever hear a song done by a cover band and said “Wow, that's better than the original!”

Or say you start working on a song that you aren't all that crazy about, and as time goes on, you work through it (or developing the song as Notes says), get better at it and find a new love you never had for the song previously?

Because now, in a way this song is your own.

Pat

cnev
Guitarnoise Addict

Post by cnev » March 29th, 2012, 12:01 pm

I think Notes has listed the same way I feel about songs, learning them growing with them and then getting bored with them.

I also like Gotdablues have really fell in love playing songs that I never particularly liked to listen to and have hated playing some of my favorite songs that I loved listening too.
"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

s1120

Post by s1120 » March 29th, 2012, 1:23 pm

Gotdablues wrote:Did you ever hear a song done by a cover band and said “Wow, that's better than the original!”

Pat
You know... its funny that you say that. So I was learning Norwegian Wood a wile back. I always liked the song, so it was cool. Its a good song... Well one day surfing Youtube and I came across this....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1e_0cF6whM

I gotta say it blew me away, and made me look at the song in a totaly diferent light, and that I sould not be afread to jump in, and make it my own. I still mess around with it alot, when I am just in the "play a song" mode. Just trying to make it me.
Paul B

Gotdablues

Post by Gotdablues » March 30th, 2012, 8:08 am

JoeHempel
Guitarnoise Addict

Post by JoeHempel » March 30th, 2012, 8:08 pm

wow....that's an amazing cover.

Blueline
Guitarnoise Denizen

Post by Blueline » April 9th, 2012, 5:19 pm

I absolutely love playing this song. I learned it by ear and it's very easy to play. When I play along with the band, I just melt.
From the LP "The Hazards of Love" - The Decemberists

The Hazards of Love 4
Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

Cat
Guitarnoise Denizen

Post by Cat » April 10th, 2012, 3:37 am

JoeHempel wrote:I've recently come upon an arrangement of a tune that I absolutely love, and playing this arrangement just seems to flow from my fingers even though I've only messed with it for a few hours. I guess it's because maybe I "feel" this song alot more than others that I play.

So as a question to you....do you find it easier to play, and do you think what you play sounds better if you play a particular song that just "speaks" to you from inside?

Read my 'whoseewassit' below, that thing I wrote right under my name. You'll never get to anywhere special without that, matey.

Cat
"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

Nuno
Guitarnoise Addict

Post by Nuno » April 10th, 2012, 12:36 pm

When you learn to play a song, it is recommended that firstly you can sing the melody. Maybe that first step is already given with the songs that speak to you and it makes they are easier to play and enjoy. Just guessing.

JoeHempel
Guitarnoise Addict

Post by JoeHempel » April 11th, 2012, 3:27 am

Well....considering I don't sing LOL. Well I do, just not well.

I tend to "feel" the music before anything. One of my favorite songs, I don't understand a lick of the lyrics nor can sing it...why? Because it's in Chinese.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2PuH4WN ... re=related

Just completely stopped me.