Pick Vs Fingers

Discussion about guitar playing from a diverse group of people with different tastes and levels of experience.
Diceman
Full Member
Posts: 410
Joined: May 3rd, 2004, 6:58 pm
Location: Marion , NY

Re: Pick Vs Fingers

Post by Diceman » July 25th, 2012, 8:18 am

Everyone has the "right" to his opinion . It is "wrong" to call someone insecure because he states it .

Crow
Senior Member
Posts: 554
Joined: November 10th, 2009, 5:59 pm
Location: Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Re: Pick Vs Fingers

Post by Crow » July 25th, 2012, 8:21 am

And that, of course, is your opinion.
"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whipped cream." - Frank Zappa

TRGuitar
Guitarnoise Addict
Posts: 3708
Joined: January 2nd, 2007, 10:31 pm
Location: Northern New York
Contact:

Re: Pick Vs Fingers

Post by TRGuitar » July 25th, 2012, 8:22 am

Moonrider wrote: I use both. Sometimes in the same lick. As my old guitar teacher once said, "Use what gets it done." I learned hybrid picking from day one - it's the only way to fly ;)
I origionally learned hybrid picking way back when I learned Stairway in the 70's. When I learned to play leads I started incorporating it to get different tones when hitting 2 strings at once or to hit 2 strings that aren't next to each other.

My old teacher was a book .... :oops: :roll:
"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

User avatar
Liontable
Full Member
Posts: 146
Joined: March 21st, 2010, 2:44 am
Location: Belgium

Re: Pick Vs Fingers

Post by Liontable » July 25th, 2012, 10:38 am

Crow wrote:And that, of course, is your opinion.
This is where I do agree with Diceman: different isn't necessarily better. Doing something because everyone does it is stupid. Doing something because few people do it is stupid. Doing something because you like it, however, is the smart thing to do. Many people seem to have the need to show they're "unique" or "free thinkers", and they'll try to be as far off the norm as possible because that makes them special. It simply came across as if it was somehow important to not be like everyone else, regardless of how it was meant. That's the nature of the internet, you post one message and people read a thousand different things into it.

On topic:

You say it's easier to use fingers, but the guitar sounds better with a pick. It's tempting to do what's easy, but if you want to progress in anything you have to challenge yourself. Pretty much anything feels unnatural until you're used to it, so you just have to know what kind of sound you want. If it's played clean, I'm using my fingers. If it's got any distortion whatsoever, I use my pick. I really like how fingers make it sound and play so soft and smooth, while a good pick gives so much power, control and bite. It really depends of what you want musically. I'd play with strings of barbed wire if it gave me the tone I wanted, practice removes difficulty given time.

Crow
Senior Member
Posts: 554
Joined: November 10th, 2009, 5:59 pm
Location: Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Re: Pick Vs Fingers

Post by Crow » July 25th, 2012, 10:54 am

Liontable wrote:
Crow wrote:And that, of course, is your opinion.
This is where I do agree with Diceman: different isn't necessarily better. Doing something because everyone does it is stupid. Doing something because few people do it is stupid. Doing something because you like it, however, is the smart thing to do. Many people seem to have the need to show they're "unique" or "free thinkers", and they'll try to be as far off the norm as possible because that makes them special. It simply came across as if it was somehow important to not be like everyone else, regardless of how it was meant. That's the nature of the internet, you post one message and people read a thousand different things into it.
You got that last bit right, at least, and gave us a demo to boot. :roll:

Why don't we all drop the idea that those of us who prefer fingers are doing it just to be different, OK? S1120 struggled with the pick and found it was getting in the way of his progress (correct me if I'm wrong, s1120). I learned to play with a pick just fine, then realized I liked the sound of fingers & pursued it. This is not about being "unique" or "free thinkers." It's also not about "better" or "worse," as you imply, or about "right" or "wrong," as Diceman implies. If the plectrum works for you, use it. If it doesn't, you don't have to use it. That's what this is about.
"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whipped cream." - Frank Zappa

User avatar
Liontable
Full Member
Posts: 146
Joined: March 21st, 2010, 2:44 am
Location: Belgium

Re: Pick Vs Fingers

Post by Liontable » July 25th, 2012, 11:36 am

I was merely saying how it came across, that's why I used the careful phrasing including "regardless of how it was meant". I don't like implying stuff but acting as if you're talking about something unrelated, which is probably what it seemed like. If I want to slam someone, it's rather obvious :mrgreen:

Better wasn't my statement, by the way. TS said "I personally find it easier playing without a pick, but it feels like sometimes the guitar sounds sooo much better using a pick". I support your last post 100%. You have the ability to play how you like, you pick something because of the way it sounds, and because it works for you. That's exactly what Cnev said earlier, and what I tried to convey in my second part.

Just to be clear, I think you're probably an awesome player and undoubtedly way better than me. I don't even think anyone's trying to convince you or even fundamentally disagrees, to be honest. The only thing people react to is the way it's said.

Crow
Senior Member
Posts: 554
Joined: November 10th, 2009, 5:59 pm
Location: Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Re: Pick Vs Fingers

Post by Crow » July 25th, 2012, 11:49 am

Liontable wrote:Just to be clear, I think you're probably an awesome player
No.
and undoubtedly way better than me.
Doubtful, but that is beside the point. This isn't about me. At least it "should" not be. :P
I don't even think anyone's trying to convince you or even fundamentally disagrees, to be honest. The only thing people react to is the way it's said.
This is the part that puzzles me. Do we have to swaddle every opinion in qualifiers? "This is just my opinion, but..." "I may be wrong, but..." "Your mileage may vary...." Why? I wish someone would PM me to point out exactly what I said wrong.

On topic:

If the OP's tone is that much better with pick than with fingers, maybe it's time to look at some fingerstyle fundamentals. Most finger players strike strings with a combination of flesh and nail. Flesh alone can be dull-sounding, nails alone can sound tinny. Finding the optimal picking angle can take time, but it's worthwhile. Just as with the flatpick, it's largely a question of time spent doing it.
"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whipped cream." - Frank Zappa

s1120
Senior Member
Posts: 852
Joined: May 19th, 2008, 10:42 am
Location: albany NY area

Re: Pick Vs Fingers

Post by s1120 » July 25th, 2012, 12:32 pm

Crow wrote:[Why don't we all drop the idea that those of us who prefer fingers are doing it just to be different, OK? S1120 struggled with the pick and found it was getting in the way of his progress (correct me if I'm wrong, s1120). I learned to play with a pick just fine, then realized I liked the sound of fingers & pursued it. This is not about being "unique" or "free thinkers." It's also not about "better" or "worse," as you imply, or about "right" or "wrong," as Diceman implies. If the plectrum works for you, use it. If it doesn't, you don't have to use it. That's what this is about.

Yes Crow, that was what I meant to say. Trust me I in noway mean to convay that im a superior guitarists to ANYONE here!! Im nowere close!! Just that for me, it seems to click better with me, and that I perfer the sound. I in no way meant it to sound that doing it like that was the best, and picks are not the way to go. Just that this is what has worked for me, and that I enjoy it. As we know Picks work perfectly well for what...90% + of the players out there.
Paul B

cnev
Guitarnoise Addict
Posts: 4906
Joined: June 2nd, 2003, 11:07 am
Location: New Britain, CT

Re: Pick Vs Fingers

Post by cnev » July 26th, 2012, 4:46 am

Actually Paul I think it's 99.5677444 %
"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

s1120
Senior Member
Posts: 852
Joined: May 19th, 2008, 10:42 am
Location: albany NY area

Re: Pick Vs Fingers

Post by s1120 » July 26th, 2012, 5:27 am

cnev wrote:Actually Paul I think it's 99.5677444 %

LOL!!!!!! Ya, thats probably a lot closer. :D

You know... the best thing about playing music for fun is.... The fact that we dont all have to like the same stuff. We can each do our own thing, and enjoy ourselfs, and also enjoy hearing others that do it there way. THATS what is cool about all this!!!
Paul B

Diceman
Full Member
Posts: 410
Joined: May 3rd, 2004, 6:58 pm
Location: Marion , NY

Re: Pick Vs Fingers

Post by Diceman » July 26th, 2012, 5:30 am

Crow wrote:And that, of course, is your opinion.
And everyone is entitled to it !
cnev wrote:Actually Paul I think it's 99.5677444 %
But it is a very vocal .4322556% !
Crow wrote:
Liontable wrote:
Crow wrote:And that, of course, is your opinion.


Why don't we all drop the idea that those of us who prefer fingers are doing it just to be different, OK? S1120 struggled with the pick and found it was getting in the way of his progress (correct me if I'm wrong, s1120). I learned to play with a pick just fine, then realized I liked the sound of fingers & pursued it. This is not about being "unique" or "free thinkers." It's also not about "better" or "worse," as you imply, or about "right" or "wrong," as Diceman implies. If the plectrum works for you, use it. If it doesn't, you don't have to use it. That's what this is about.
We could certainly drop it but then what would we discuss ? Besides , it's like telling the leader of the revolution that he doesn't have a cause . Maybe you're a little too committed to one side to be completely objective . You said throw the pick away . I said don't give up on it .
If I claim to be a wise man , it surely means that I don't know .

Crow
Senior Member
Posts: 554
Joined: November 10th, 2009, 5:59 pm
Location: Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Re: Pick Vs Fingers

Post by Crow » July 26th, 2012, 5:44 am

Diceman wrote:Maybe you're a little too committed to one side to be completely objective . You said throw the pick away . I said don't give up on it .
No, I said "throw the pick into the audience." This was Tom Verlaine's approach, as I recall -- if he didn't like the sound he got with a pick within a few bars, he'd fling it off the stage and finish the set with fingers only. Small difference, but after a while if something isn't working for you... let it go. Some of us seem to think the OP is a beginner, but this is not the "Beginner's Q&A Forum." This is "Guitar Players Discussion." I assume Guy1 has spent enough time with the pick to know what works for him and what doesn't.

And how have I not been objective? I said new players should work with the pick. Ninety-nine-point-whatever of instructional material is plectrum-based, so they'd be at a serious disadvantage not to use a pick at that point in their playing career. I said that I'm using picks again, because the only way to get that stereotypical jazz-guitar sound is with a pick....

Anyhow, I don't think I'm the one who's less than objective on this. Has anyone else noticed that "Diceman" is an anagram of "Jim Dunlop"? :lol:
"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whipped cream." - Frank Zappa

Diceman
Full Member
Posts: 410
Joined: May 3rd, 2004, 6:58 pm
Location: Marion , NY

Re: Pick Vs Fingers

Post by Diceman » July 26th, 2012, 6:52 pm

Crow wrote:
Diceman wrote:Maybe you're a little too committed to one side to be completely objective . You said throw the pick away . I said don't give up on it .
No, I said "throw the pick into the audience." This was Tom Verlaine's approach, as I recall -- if he didn't like the sound he got with a pick within a few bars, he'd fling it off the stage and finish the set with fingers only. Small difference, but after a while if something isn't working for you... let it go. Some of us seem to think the OP is a beginner, but this is not the "Beginner's Q&A Forum." This is "Guitar Players Discussion." I assume Guy1 has spent enough time with the pick to know what works for him and what doesn't.

And how have I not been objective? I said new players should work with the pick. Ninety-nine-point-whatever of instructional material is plectrum-based, so they'd be at a serious disadvantage not to use a pick at that point in their playing career. I said that I'm using picks again, because the only way to get that stereotypical jazz-guitar sound is with a pick....

Anyhow, I don't think I'm the one who's less than objective on this. Has anyone else noticed that "Diceman" is an anagram of "Jim Dunlop"? :lol:
So you think the audience is going to give the pick back to you ? I had to look up who Tom Verlaine was on the internet and am not impressed with his body of work especially as a punk era guitarist . Punk performers didn't especially push the boundaries of modern guitar forward so much as they went backward , image being more important than the music . If that's who you aspire to emulate all I can say is good for you . Has anybody noticed that a crow is a noisy , roadkill eating nuisance ? :lol:
If I claim to be a wise man , it surely means that I don't know .

jason brann

Re: Pick Vs Fingers

Post by jason brann » August 9th, 2012, 10:03 pm

it's two different sets of sounds. there are songs i can only play with a pick, and others that i can only play fingerpicked, and there are plenty that would be fine either way. i'd be limiting myself by only doing one or the other. i also hybrid pick. i can use a thumb pick. it's not a contest or competition, any more than learning two languages or another instrument would be.

Post Reply