Self-Taught vs Private Lessons

Discussion about guitar playing from a diverse group of people with different tastes and levels of experience.
BigMoney

Self-Taught vs Private Lessons

Post by BigMoney » June 19th, 2017, 4:54 pm

Who here is self taught and who here has studied privately?

On a tangent, I think now more than ever it is reasonable to be completely self taught. The internet can teach you so much these days. Online videos are a great resource as well.

On the other hand you can't jam with the internet like you can a teacher. They will also point out your mistakes way faster than the internet. Backing tracks are great, but jamming with a person teaches you much more.

What do you guys think?
The 3 elements of Western music are: melody, harmony, and rhythm
If you'd like to hear them all played on an acoustic guitar simultaneously, watch me play fingerstyle. Cheers.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcZ2NC ... C5yufPaVAg

Alan Green
Guitari Lama

Re: Self-Taught vs Private Lessons

Post by Alan Green » June 19th, 2017, 9:29 pm

Self-taught, but I could already read music before I first picked up a guitar

I had a few lessons in my early 20s, but my tutor "did a runner" before some heavies came round and kicked in his front door; and I had some lessons ahead of my Grade 7 exam because some things needed a little polishing.

The internet is a very poor teacher; it cannot see if you're doing something not quite right, and there's no control over your ability to jump into an online lesson that's way ahead of your skillset. Whilst there are successful guitarists who say they learned by "buying a Metallica tab book", their technique is generally poor. Prime examples: Harry Styles (ex-One Direction), whose guitarist on a live TV show recently was so unskilled he had two fingers welded to the scratchplate to keep his hand in place, and another ex-One Direction member who "played" guitar at the One Love Manchester gig with his thumb and one finger and had the rest of his hand stuck to the scratchplate. Useless, completely useless; both of them.

My students - some aged 6 - have a completely floating pick hand. It has to be an essential starting point.
"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger
"I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk

Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

Nick6

Re: Self-Taught vs Private Lessons

Post by Nick6 » July 17th, 2017, 6:10 am

Yea,

I've noticed in that I have given some folks lessons. Even just playing guitar is a very busy thing.
I'm mostly a sound engineer. Some people ask "How do I get there" as they are into music and
sometimes see me singing and playing acapello. I don't really have a talent for anything except
operating a mixer, or camera; Sometimes playing a small show of a dozen and a half people tops.