Lefty but play right-handed?

Discussion about guitar playing from a diverse group of people with different tastes and levels of experience.
yossarian

Lefty but play right-handed?

Post by yossarian » December 21st, 2017, 9:33 pm

I've been pondering this lately. I've been playing for a few months now and have been enjoying myself. I'm left-handed, but I play right-handed. I've heard so many opinions on this subject from "just play right-handed" to "you'll never be good if you play right-handed!" Playing right-handed feels right to me, although playing left handed doesn't feel terrible. Playing right-handed may be due to years of violin playing where left-handedness is seriously frowned upon.

I'm sort of cross handed in that I use different hands for different tasks. I could never shoot a shotgun left-handed, for example. I can however write pretty well with my right hand although I prefer to use my left hand, and I bowl right handed mostly. I can't use chopsticks left-handed to save my life.

Alan Green
Guitari Lama

Re: Lefty but play right-handed?

Post by Alan Green » December 21st, 2017, 10:20 pm

Yeah - us lefties tend to find the world doesn't want to cater for us; so we adapt.

I write left-handed, have left-handed scissors in the kitchen and a left-handed ruler in the office, throw a ball left-handed, catch in either hand, can use a knife and fork either way round, hold a cricket bat right-handed and a baseball bat left-handed.

Phones, calculators, PCs and pianos are only made right-handed

And I play guitar right-handed. So do all but three of my left-handed students.

So, you've learned the fine motor control needed for musical instruments by playing violin that way and now you're playing guitar right-handed. I'm not sure I see a problem
"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger
"I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk

Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk