New to electric (guitar and amp settings....)

Post your question here and an experienced guitar player or teacher will get back to you.
dogbite
Musically Insane

Re: New to electric (guitar and amp settings....)

Post by dogbite » June 9th, 2008, 5:31 am

tone search. it took me close to five years to finally find it. I went through stomp boxes and multi effect pedal boards.
those multi effect boards are not my favorites. some sounds on there, at first may be cool, are wearisome and annoying.
I finally settled on less is more. my modified tubescreamer turbo, MXR comp (also modded) and my delay.
after years of playing now I can dial in what I want and when. what a relief.$$$

rparker
Musically Insane

Post by rparker » June 9th, 2008, 7:03 am

dogbite wrote:tone search. it took me close to five years to finally find it. I went through stomp boxes and multi effect pedal boards.
those multi effect boards are not my favorites. some sounds on there, at first may be cool, are wearisome and annoying.
I finally settled on less is more. my modified tubescreamer turbo, MXR comp (also modded) and my delay.
after years of playing now I can dial in what I want and when. what a relief.$$$

The Multi-effects boxes are over-done sometimes. It's like they say, "You want fuzz???? I'll geeeve you some fuzz!!!!". and then they crank it up to 11. My GT-10 does less of this, buy still too much on many things. I guess that's why many people do their own settings.
Roy

"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Wes Inman
Musically Insane

Post by Wes Inman » June 9th, 2008, 10:49 am

I have owned quite a few multi-efx pedals, and while I like the many various tones you can get, in the end they always frustrate me. I never end up using more than 3 or 4 presets. For example, I leave my pedalboard at our drummer's house where we practice. At home I practice with a Zoom GX1 my brother gave me for Christmas into my Epi Valve Jr. The Zoom has a lot of nice presets, but I just use one all the time (the Matchless model).

For me, I just look for a good solid sounding overdrive that I can back off the volume to clean up a little. I don't like it totally clean, just a little bit of breakup. Then for a solo I will use either my Behringer TO800 or Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster to boost the volume and give it more grind. I will use Delay sometimes on a solo just to give the tone more fullness, but that's about it. I have a chorus and phaser as well but very rarely use them.

I dunno, playing in a band especially is trouble enough, I try to keep it pretty simple. I basically use one tone all the time and then just boost it for solos. Multi-efx are too much trouble for me.

Just my 2 cents, I realize everybody is different and that many love these multi-efx. Whatever floats your boat. :D
If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

GM

Post by GM » June 10th, 2008, 6:47 am

Thanks for all the posts guys! Having played around with it, I'm starting to get a sense of what I can change. I think it's probably good that I don't have a bunch of pedals, etc to begin with. Too much to worry about, overwhelmed by and distracted..... As I find specific sounds I can't get, I'll then look to expand (which is how it's taken be so many years to pick up an electric :D ).

I find that just hitting overdrive gets me pretty close to the punk and harder rock sounds and it's easy to tweak from there but I still have a hard time getting a good clean sound that I'm completely happy with.

It reminds me of cooking where it's a lot easier to make a dish that has a ton of spices and flavorings but harder to make a dish with subtle flavors....

corbind
Guitarnoise Addict

Post by corbind » June 12th, 2008, 9:52 am

We all have "our" sound. I have tried single pedals and they sound great. Still, I cannot do the "pedal dance" fast enough (read: turn one or two off and turn one or two on for a solo). Hence, I like multieffect devices. You can store individual patches for the sounds you want and recall them in an instant. I'd go nuts without it.

Well, not really. I've played straight through amps (no pedals or multieffects) and you adapt. But it is tough straight to get a good overdrive without cranking the amp up to a crazy level.
"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

FrankyL

Post by FrankyL » July 2nd, 2008, 12:12 pm

Hey, can I just say thanks to everybody for the information in this thread? I just picked up my first electric (after starting to learn on an acoustic the last 6+ months), and I came right here to get some ideas so I'm ready to play as soon as I get home. I feel like I have a solid basis to start from, so thanks!

And for anyone interested, I bought a very much "starter" set. It's a gorgeous blue Squier Affinity Strat, three single coils, with a 15W Fender Frontman amp. Ought to be more than enough for me at my level of playing.

corbind
Guitarnoise Addict

Post by corbind » July 6th, 2008, 1:09 pm

FrankyL wrote:Ought to be more than enough for me at my level of playing.
That will change quickly as your skill rises...
"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."