Chords

Post your question here and an experienced guitar player or teacher will get back to you.
cjdave

Chords

Postby cjdave » September 17th, 2012, 10:27 am

I have been learning G D C. What are some more chords I need to know as a beginner? Thanks David

s1120

Re: Chords

Postby s1120 » September 17th, 2012, 11:25 am

Off the rip Im saying E, A, D, C, G is a great start. after you get a handle on them, work on E, A, D minor... lot of stuff you can do with those!!! After you learn them, make sure you work on changing from one to another smoothly.
Paul B

cjdave

Postby cjdave » September 17th, 2012, 2:27 pm

Thanks for the fast responce i will work on them. Thanks again David

dogbite
Musically Insane

Postby dogbite » September 20th, 2012, 8:41 am

definitely the E chord. also begin working in the minor chords; Am Dm Em. then as soon as possible get that B chord involved.
chords often come in threes; ie, E, A, B. a classic chord progression. this works for all the others; ie, G C D etc.
then work on the much hated F chord. beginners typically have trouble with this one, I don't know why.

Alan Green
Guitari Lama

Postby Alan Green » September 20th, 2012, 11:52 am

dogbite wrote:then work on the much hated F chord. beginners typically have trouble with this one, I don't know why.

Nothin' to do with it needing a six-string barre from the index finger and a movable E-shape chord at the point where all 60 pounds of sting tension in each string is passed through the fingers then :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger
"I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk

Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

dogbite
Musically Insane

Postby dogbite » September 20th, 2012, 12:56 pm

:!: :!: :!: :!: :D

Vic Lewis VL
Albus Dumblechord

Postby Vic Lewis VL » September 20th, 2012, 2:26 pm

Once you've got the G C and D chords down, learn Em next. Those four chords will let you play literally hundreds of songs....

Usually G, Em, C then D. Off the top of my head:

Stand By Me - Ben E King/Lennon
Twisting The Night Away, Chain Gang, Wonderful World and Cupid - All by Sam Cooke.
His Latest Flame - Elvis (one of many!)
Love Hurts - Everly Bros.
Every Day - Buddy Holly.
Metal Guru and Cosmic Dancer - T. Rex.
Massachusetts - Bee Gees.

Note - not all of those are in the same key. The Sam Cooke songs, for example, are (I think) in Bb or B - so you'd either have to play Bb, Gm, Eb and F or B, G#m, E and F# to play along with the radio or the CD. Or put a capo on the third (for Bb) or fourth (for B) fret and play G, Em C and D.......

:D :D :D

Vic
"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

cjdave

Postby cjdave » September 20th, 2012, 6:29 pm

Thanks for all the input. Greatly appreciate it.
David