New player, jazzmaster won't stay in tune

Post your question here and an experienced guitar player or teacher will get back to you.
Homestead

New player, jazzmaster won't stay in tune

Post by Homestead » January 28th, 2017, 9:29 am

Hi all,

I recently bought my first electric guitar, a used Squire Jazzmaster, the J Mascis signature series (made in China). Even though it's technically used it looks in brand-new shape, though it won't stay in tune for longer than a song or two. A simple bend can cause it to lose tune immediately! I dusted off my old Squire acoustic and tooled around on it for awhile, and it holds a tune for as long as I feel like playing on it. Might there be something wrong with my jazzmaster, or am I likely doing something wrong? I bought it from Guitar Center, so I can easily return it if need be ... but I REALLY like the look and feel of it, so I'd rather not return it.

I've read that a lot of people replace the bridges on these, but I can't imagine that the stock one is so bad that it won't hold tuning for 5 minutes of a newbie's tentative strumming!

Some quick notes about me, I took a few months of guitar lessons a few years back, so I know just enough to pluck a note or two. My current work schedule makes it tough to take regular lessons, so I bought Rocksmith so I can learn as my schedule allows. I'm really enjoying the guitar-hero style of learning with a video game so far :)

Thanks in advance for any advice!

LessPaul

Re: New player, jazzmaster won't stay in tune

Post by LessPaul » January 29th, 2017, 9:56 pm

Try changing your strings first. Stretch the new ones. while you're stretching the new strings, watch the machines/pegs and see if anything moves under tension. lmk if the problem persists.

Homestead

Post by Homestead » January 30th, 2017, 10:53 am

I had a guitar tech at the store I bought it from check it out. He tightened up the tremolo a lot and that seemed to help at first, but now it's gone back to just as bad as it was. I changed the strings up, made sure there's nothing catching in the nut, the intonation's pretty good, but for some reason it just won't hold tune! Especially if I use the whammy bar at all, the whole thing goes out of whack. The little E string seems to catch the worst of it.

I'm going to take it back to the store and have them look at it one more time, and hopefully fix it. If not I'm probably going to return it and get something else, even though I really like everything else about this guitar.

Any more ideas on what may be wrong? If not, any suggestions on similar guitars in that price range that'd work for a newbie like myself who's really into alt-rock?

LessPaul

Post by LessPaul » January 31st, 2017, 8:46 pm

Homestead wrote:I had a guitar tech at the store I bought it from check it out. He tightened up the tremolo a lot and that seemed to help at first, but now it's gone back to just as bad as it was. I changed the strings up, made sure there's nothing catching in the nut, the intonation's pretty good, but for some reason it just won't hold tune! Especially if I use the whammy bar at all, the whole thing goes out of whack. The little E string seems to catch the worst of it.

I'm going to take it back to the store and have them look at it one more time, and hopefully fix it. If not I'm probably going to return it and get something else, even though I really like everything else about this guitar.

Any more ideas on what may be wrong? If not, any suggestions on similar guitars in that price range that'd work for a newbie like myself who's really into alt-rock?
That's a can of worms. I would personally just plain return it. I don't use a whammy bar unless there's a lock nut involved.

I'm a huge fan of the S series Ibanez for whammy work. It's not super affordable tho. And I wouldn't call it similar at all. I'm a huge proponent of taking the 5 artists you listen to most. Find out what gear they use and try and get as close of a guitar/amp/everything as that. I used to buy the best guitar I could afford w/o paying attention to what it sounded like. Now I play a yamaha. Yeah, a yamaha, and I'm loving my tone hahaha.