Can't follow the beats

Post your question here and an experienced guitar player or teacher will get back to you.
suvarchas

Can't follow the beats

Post by suvarchas » February 24th, 2017, 6:56 am

I am learning guitar from 9 months and know all about the basic open and barre chords. But playing with beats in not making any sense to me. I don't know how to practise with beats or how fast or slow should I play strumming pattern to match with the beats. Need a starting point to practise. Please help anyone.

Alan Green
Guitari Lama

Re: Can't follow the beats

Post by Alan Green » February 24th, 2017, 1:11 pm

Start by listening to the beats, and then play your chords one downstroke per beat. It gets easier from there
"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger
"I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk

Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

LessPaul

Post by LessPaul » February 25th, 2017, 11:47 am

I actually recommend finding the chords in a simple tune like Sublime or Bob Marley. Play those chords in the right order 1 chord per 4 beats (measure) then 1 chord per 2 beats (half notes) then 1 chord per beat. Then finally play along with the song.

Hope it helps!

hthiew

Post by hthiew » May 3rd, 2017, 7:02 am

How about using a metronome? I used to hate using one but now I simply love it and it doesn't help me very naturally get into keeping the beat.

I written something about playing rhythm guitar on my blog https://playgoodguitar.com/playing-good-rhythm-guitar and generally my whole site touches a lot of playing guitar as a percussion instrument as much as a stringed instrument.

Biggles01

Post by Biggles01 » May 9th, 2017, 6:42 am

I’ve only been learning for a few months but I’ve found the Justin Guitar app really useful. One of the things it has is an exercise for playing on the beats and a whole lot of songs you can strum along to on the beats as well. It gives you the strum pattern and tells you when to play the chord on the screen. I’m following the course and only have a few chords that I’m currently practising but the beat exercises/strumming songs are great. I already find I hardly need to look at the screen while I’m strumming to some of the songs. Must stress I am very much a beginner and I am talking about one strum for every four beats, but it does work and I can see how it will progress.

hthiew

Post by hthiew » May 20th, 2017, 7:54 am

Good job Biggles01

JWS Guitar Lessons

Post by JWS Guitar Lessons » November 3rd, 2017, 7:08 am

Hi suvarchas,

This is a common problem for a lot of guitarists, so you are not alone.

I'll explain my answer with reference to a metronome - this is a tool you can easily find and download by searching "free metronome" in the app store of your phone or tablet, or even on your desktop.

When playing with the beats (on a metronome), you are either playing on the beat (playing at the same time as a click), or off the beat (playing in the space between the clicks). Practising playing on the beat and off the beat separately will help your rhythm and timing when playing the guitar immensely.

As for how fast or slow you should play strumming patterns, I recommend playing them at a tempo (on the metronome) you can manage. Try a tempo of 70bpm to start with. If this feels too easy, then add 10bpm (giving you 90bpm). If this feels too slow, then minus 10bpm (giving you 60bpm).

For more information, you can visit my blog post on this very subject, by clicking the link below:

https://jwsguitarlessons.wordpress.com/ ... nd-timing/

I hope this helps! If you want to find out more about guitar playing, I recommend visiting my website, by clicking the link below:

https://www.jwsguitarlessons.co.uk

Warm Regards,

James Webber-Salmon

waylon

Post by waylon » November 27th, 2017, 8:57 am