Welcome to the forums!

New slides....

Y'all come on in and sit a spell. All things Slide and alternate tuning. Celtic, country...whatever. Get your fill of DADGAD, open G and whatever tickles your fancy. Strictly on topic please.

Moderator: The GN support team

Postby Vic Lewis VL » September 7th, 2011, 4:01 pm

So, my house - or at least the rear half - is a complete and utter mess. The bathroom (it's downstairs!) is basically a crater. We had a plumber in yesterday, putting some new pipes in. I made him a cuppa - as you do - took it into him and found a length of copper piping on the floor. Couldn't resist trying it on my ring finger, it fitted nicely - so I asked him if there was any chance he could trim it down a little?

He left that piece as it was, and cut me a couple of pieces to the perfect length for me...

They sound, and feel, absolutely great on the electric - not too great on the acoustic, but hey, I've still got a plexiglass slide for that.....and I've also got another couple of feet of copper piping to play around with.

I don't know how much slides cost in, say, the USA - but over here, they're bloody expensive! £10 for a piece of glass, about £12-13 for brass or chrome...in dollars that's about $15-18. So getting a couple of slides for the cost of a couple of cups of tea strikes me as being well into bargain territory...a couple of hours with the power saw, and I've got about another 10-12 slides. And I have quite a few friends who play guitar - I guess it's up to me to pass a few of them on, right? It's the honourable thing to do - cost me nothing, so I'm duty bound to pass 'em on for free....

Got to say, I LOVE my new slides......that's what you call a RESULT!

:D :D :D

Vic
"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)
Vic Lewis VL
Albus Dumblechord

Postby Rocket Dog » September 7th, 2011, 10:57 pm

I totally agree, they are expensive over here, but you have definitely got yourself a bargain, well done. Duty bound to pass them on? Yeah :D
Rocket Dog

Postby cnev » September 9th, 2011, 7:15 am

Hmm the price of copper is so high here people break into houses just to rip out the copper piping to sell. There were a couple that got caught a couple weeks ago they didn't even bothr to shut off the water they ripped out with the water still running.
"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!
cnev
Guitarnoise Addict

Postby MinorKey » December 30th, 2011, 8:16 am

Rocket Dog wrote:I totally agree, they are expensive over here, but you have definitely got yourself a bargain, well done. Duty bound to pass them on? Yeah :D

Yea man, spread the joy!
Good result! So hows the bathroom looking?
If I go blind guide me. If I go deaf shoot me!
http://fourfingerssixstrings.blogspot.com
MinorKey

Postby Vic Lewis VL » January 1st, 2012, 8:19 pm

Bathroom - or shower room, as it is now - is great! Everything brand new, and all fitted to the perfect specs to suit Marilyn's disability. As for the slides - I've given four away. No big deal, cost me nothing, asked for nothing...hope they give the people I gave 'em to (two of whom have NEVER played slide guitar, but have expressed an interest when a friend of mine and myself have played slide in the pub) as much, or more, fun as I've got out of them.

:D :D :D

Vic
"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)
Vic Lewis VL
Albus Dumblechord

Postby Ricochet » February 18th, 2012, 1:11 pm

I've made a few copper pipe slides, but thought they were a bit on the scratchy side. Different textures are good for different things, though. Sometimes I prefer my sublimely smooth Diamond Ultimate lead crystal slide, but if I really want to get sustain from vibrato on the strings I've got to have a surface with a little more "bite." That's where a rougher surface comes in.
"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
Ricochet
Guitari Lama

Postby Niklas » May 4th, 2012, 12:21 pm

Good initiative. I think the price of slides put people of trying it. I've yet to meet a guitarplayer here in my age to also play slide. Well, at least I have something special to play then which a lot of people havn't heard. I was looking for a slide here a couple of months back. I had to visit four different musicshops before I found a slide!!! And it was more like £20. It's ridicolous.
"Talent is luck. The important thing in life is courage."
Niklas

Postby MinorKey » June 3rd, 2012, 1:02 pm

I picked up a glass slide from JG Windows in the town, about 15 quid, paid with birthday money. Great fun!
If I go blind guide me. If I go deaf shoot me!
http://fourfingerssixstrings.blogspot.com
MinorKey