Song List for a Classic rock type band

If you have a post about music or guitar that doesn't really fit anywhere else, put it here. This is strictly on topic, guitar or music related topics only. Please be civil and courteous here. This forum is moderated and respectful conversation is expected.
Vic Lewis VL
Albus Dumblechord

Re: Song List for a Classic rock type band

Post by Vic Lewis VL » February 28th, 2008, 4:45 pm

I was trying to put a song list together of songs I've jammed to.....

SONG LIST

Badge
Substitute
Cindy Incidentally
Stay With Me
London Calling
Should I Stay Or Should I Go
I Fought The Law
All Right Now
Hey Joe
Light My Fire
Up Around The Bend
Roxanne
Can't Stand Losing You

Behind Blue Eyes
You've Got To Hide Your Love Away
Pinball Wizard
In My Life
Back In The USSR
Under The Bridge
Deja Vu All Over Again
Like A Rolling Stone
Positively 4th Street
Maggie's Farm
All The Young Dudes
Old Rag Blues
Layla (Acoustic)
More Than A Feeling

Nantucket Sleighride
30 Days In The Hole

The top section are the regulars, the middle section are the "well we've had a go at that and we might try it again sometime" songs, and the last two are wishful thinking on my part - no-one ever seems to know them, let alone want to play them! Maybe I'll have to be more proactive and actually teach someone to play them! And one of these days maybe I'll get to play some of MY songs......

:D :D :D

Vic
"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

cnev
Guitarnoise Addict

Post by cnev » February 29th, 2008, 5:36 am

Vic,

Good list, I like most of those on that list and I've been trying to get these guys to play 30 days in the hole too. I need a good tremelo pedal for that one though. it just doesn't sound the same without it.

I don't know Layla so I was thinking of starting that this week with my teacher, it's probably my favorite EC song and since we are already playing Badge, White Room, Sunshine and proabably Strange Brew I might as well learn that one too.

I think we may add Bang a Gong and Rocky Mountain Way since we've played those already and maybe Alright now. I haven't played it with these guys much but it's easy anyway so it wouldn't be hard to learn.
"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

Laz
Guitarnoise Addict

Post by Laz » February 29th, 2008, 8:01 am

katreich wrote:
dhodge wrote:And here I'm thinking I'm the only one I know who covers One More Minute... :wink:

Peace
God, I LOVE that song! Brings a tear to my eye every time.....

Want to do it as a duet in May?

Peace
I'm waiting to hear your version of All Night Long 8)

Sin City Sid

Post by Sin City Sid » March 2nd, 2008, 12:35 am

Do a search on youtube for "ybr band" or "yellow brick road". These guys do classic rock covers every weekend here and they pack this very large house, about 400-500 seats and standing room only. The dance floor is pack. Just look at what they play. Everything from queen to Zepp to Van Halen to cheap trick. Should give you an idea of what people will dance to.

rparker
Musically Insane

Post by rparker » March 6th, 2008, 3:11 am

cnev, I just ran accross this. Lots of bands listed, and lots with song lists. Thought it might be useful to you.
http://www.google.com/Top/Arts/Music/Ba ... ver_Bands/
Roy

"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

cnev
Guitarnoise Addict

Post by cnev » March 6th, 2008, 8:17 am

Thanks Ray I'll check it out.

Vic Lewis VL
Albus Dumblechord

Post by Vic Lewis VL » March 6th, 2008, 6:06 pm

A couple I've personally added to my list of "songs I've got to learn" are a couple of old Bowie Songs - Space Oddity and Starman. I've nailed "Starman" - and put the tab in Easy Songs. Not quite memorised "Space Oddity" yet but I'm not far off.

I should add, I'm trying to put together a set-list of songs I can play on solo acoustic and sing along to, for future open mics, as well as a songlist where I can play mostly rhythm, with some occasional lead, and sing lead or backing vocals!

:D :D :D

Vic
"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

cnev
Guitarnoise Addict

Post by cnev » March 7th, 2008, 11:03 am

Vic,

Well that's one thing I don't have to worry about singing/playing, I can't do both at the same time and really don't plan on trying. It looks like we are actually going to have a "real" singer come in with the group so we are pretty much set. Tonight will be the first night with the singer and keyboard player.

I love old Bowie stuff he probably was/is my favorite artist if had to list one. Unfortunately I doubt think the group I'm with shares my passion so we won't be playing any Bowie songs, although I'm trying to get them to play Suffragette City since I always thought that kinda rocked. The problem with Bowie is alot/most of his songs don't have solos, so our lead guitartist won't want to play them..

rparker
Musically Insane

Post by rparker » March 7th, 2008, 11:46 am

cnev wrote:Vic,

Well that's one thing I don't have to worry about singing/playing, I can't do both at the same time and really don't plan on trying. It looks like we are actually going to have a "real" singer come in with the group so we are pretty much set. Tonight will be the first night with the singer and keyboard player.

I love old Bowie stuff he probably was/is my favorite artist if had to list one. Unfortunately I doubt think the group I'm with shares my passion so we won't be playing any Bowie songs, although I'm trying to get them to play Suffragette City since I always thought that kinda rocked. The problem with Bowie is alot/most of his songs don't have solos, so our lead guitartist won't want to play them..
Rebel Rebel, maybe?
Roy

"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

greybeard
Guitari Lama

Post by greybeard » March 7th, 2008, 12:09 pm

A couple that come to mind: Bo Diddley (the song) and Willie and the hand Jive. Easy songs that go down well.

What about Blueberry Hill and Great Balls of Fire? Maybe Spirit in the Sky (Norman Greenbaum).
I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

cnev
Guitarnoise Addict

Post by cnev » March 7th, 2008, 12:52 pm

grey - I'll have to run those by the group. It's been such a chore to pick songs I've decided to just go with the flow since no one ever seems to like the songs I suggest or know. But I can see Wilie and the hand jive going down well. I would have never thought of that one.

ray - Funny you should mention that. I used to play that by myself alot and I know the other guitar player likes the song so I might bring that one up.

kent_eh
Guitarnoise Denizen

Post by kent_eh » March 7th, 2008, 7:14 pm

Along the same lines as the list Roy posted, top 100 cover songs/remakes, and top 300 rock songs according to the folks at that website's forums.

At least it's a starting point of songs that the audience is likely to get into, then just pull out the ones you don't want to play, until what's left looks like a set list :wink:
I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

TRGuitar
Guitarnoise Addict

Post by TRGuitar » March 7th, 2008, 9:34 pm

Now thats a good aproach. I'll have to take a look at that list for myself.
"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --