Remove Super Glue From Guitar Body

Need to know how to setup your guitar? How do you lower your action? How do you get rid of the Milli Vanilli stickers? Look here first.
empire1987

Remove Super Glue From Guitar Body

Post by empire1987 » January 7th, 2019, 2:52 am

I have an Epihphone Supernova which i bought from a friend about 10 years ago. It's rarely been used so I'm thinking of selling it but when I bought it it had a glue run on the body where one of the knobs had been super glued back on.

I was wondering if anyone knew of a way I could remove this myself without damaging the finish? Failing that if it needs to be done professionally has anyone had something similar done as I'd be interested to know a rough price.

Thanks.

empire1987

Re: Remove Super Glue From Guitar Body

Post by empire1987 » January 7th, 2019, 7:02 am

https://ibb.co/5Y887hR

Here's a pic if it helps.

Cheers.

LeonardBlack

Re: Remove Super Glue From Guitar Body

Post by LeonardBlack » February 15th, 2019, 4:30 am

Well, fingernail polish remover will take superglue off but it might take more of the finish off as well. The glue has already ate into your clear-coat, but if you're real careful and take your time you may be able to remove the glue with a small cotton-swab or something like that.
OR, perhaps a little bit of rubbing compound might also work. I might be inclined to use some of that on it first instead of the polish remover. Again, I'd use a very small amount with a swab and gently work it in the damaged spot. You could use a polishing compound afterward to shine it back up.
Before you do anything, let's see if there are a few other ideas that other forum members might have who possibly experienced the same or similar situation as you.
Good luck!