Clear all

6 string short scale

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@97reb)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I just ran across some six string short scale bass strings for sale while looking at prices for strings on my long scale 4 string. I did a search for 6 string short scale basses on google and came up with no actual basses for those strings. Anyone know of such basses? Maybe they would fit some sort of Baritone 6 string guitar.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

(@demoetc)
Noble Member

I remember there was that Fender 6-string bass back in the 60s; wait...

Okay, here it is http://theband.hiof.no/articles/fender_bass_vi.html

I don't know if the strings might be for that or not. I think they were thinner than regular bass strings, but I've never seen one up close.

And then there was a Danelectro, the Longhorn or something, but it was a 4-string? I'm not sure about that.

ReplyQuote
(@hbriem)
Honorable Member

The Fender VI was a cool axe, beloved of Cure frontman Robert Smith, among others, but it's not equivalent to the modern 6-string. It was intended for the bassist who wants to play the odd high-note solo.

It was a short scale instrument, tuned EADGBE, like a guitar an octave deeper.

Nowadays I believe 6-string basses are tuned BEADGC, with one string (B) thicker than a normal bass and one (C) thinner.

--
Helgi Briem
hbriem AT gmail DOT com

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

That was all information I was kind of familiar with. That link on the Fender VI was informative. Thanks for the responses. I usually play lead, but am still looking to expand into other stringed instrument territory. I have a four string bass. I will get an Ashdown 180 watt combo tomorrow. I am thinking strongly of a Five string Warwick Rockbass series. In addition, I would like to get a Baritone guitar, which is kind of an interesting instrument. Thanx for the input.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote