Skip to content
all you have to rep...

Notifications
Clear all

all you have to reply is guitar or bass!

15 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@rewgirl)
Topic starter  

I don't know if this is relevant to this forum but I'll ask anyways.
my friend who just started learning guitar wanted to form a band but she needed a bassist, I said okay I'd be in it and learn bass.
I sing (and she knows that) but since she plays guitar she said she is the lead singer and she said the bassist can't sing the bassist is back-up, so I said look at the Beatles and she said whatever this is stupid so I said I'm not going to be in this band if there is no equality. So I would like to either form my own band or go solo, so I want to sing and play an instrument so now I have to choose between bass and regular guitar??
I really don't think I'll be able to switch between the cords on the regular guitar so I need anyone's opinion I will be very grateful if I get any!!!! Thanks

(@davidhodge)

There are quite a number of bands whose bassist does the lead vocals, so that shouldn't be a problem. The thing to remember is to be like a lead guitarist who also sings vocals - don't try to sing while playing the complicated stuff. If you watch people like Paul McCartney or Sting or Geddy Lee, etc., you'll see that while they're singing they play rather simple patterns. They'll save the more intricate playing for fills, very much as a blues guitarist such as Clapton or B.B. King would.

Hope this helps.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

Do both!  Of course, there's no way you could get both instruments at once, or learn both at once.  Pick the one that you want the most and play it.  There are no rules, you can sing and play whatever you want.  You seem to know that already.  By the way, if you want to learn guitar, you can do the chords.  All it takes is a little practice.

David's advice is very good.  I believe there's an article somewhere around here on singing and playing, if you're interested.

I do mean what I said at the top of my post, about learning both.  When you have the time and the means, take up all the instruments you can get your hands on.  It's a wonderful place to be.  I'm on my way there now, and I'm getting close enough to see it.

ReplyQuote
(@rewgirl)
Topic starter  

Thanks so much!
Your advice will help me alot in making my decision.
I chose guitar for now a few years from now i'll probably try bass. Your help was great
;D :) ;) :D

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

You could always invite that other girl to play in YOUR band!

Also, Sheryl Crow has been spotted playing the bass live.  As does Lesa McCabe, a contibutor over at Music Careers.

And later you could get a double-necked guitar, one standard 6-string, and one bass.  It's been done before.

As you can tell, GN is here to support you!

-Laz

ReplyQuote
(@deroy)

If you're starting a band, one thing to consider is finding the members. Guitarists are easier to find than good bassists so if you are already the bassist then it might be quicker getting the band up and running when all you have to do is find a guitar player rather than a bassist. By that same token, if you ever have to replace a member, it's easier to replace a guitar player than a bassist because they are a little easier to find.
And please don't buy into the belief that the singer has to play guitar and can't play bass. What your friend said is absolute nonsense. As you already know, there are way too many examples of bassist/singers for her comment to hold any water. Heck, I've seen plenty of drummers who sing lead (i.e. Don Henley-Eagles).

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I'll only say this once...... if it is your band and you're writing songs, for the love of god play both.

Writing songs on guitar is MUCH easier than writing songs using a bass guitar.

ReplyQuote
(@fleaaaaaa)
Prominent Member

I'll only say this once...... if it is your band and you're writing songs, for the love of god play both.

As far as performing live, if bass is what you do best and you can sing and play, do that.

together we stand, divided we fall..........

ReplyQuote
(@woodenfret)
Trusted Member

Lead bass?

V.Wooten, Les Claypool, Stanley Clarke, M. Miller, etc...

Slap & tap it!

ReplyQuote
(@thecuz)

To dhodge,

It is unfair to even mention Ged in this context. His hands and his mouth were sugically separated at birth!

ReplyQuote
(@cluemein)
Eminent Member

i think you should do what feel's right for you and no-one else.

ReplyQuote
(@hbriem)
Honorable Member

Yes, this is true.  Of course you can write bass lines on their own and the band can work from that.  I used to do that but I found that my songwriting abilities grew by leaps and bounds once I began to play guitar and understand chords and things as well.

It improved even more (up to a point) once I figured out how to sing and play guitar at the same time.  I still can't sing while playing bass, unless the bassline is really simple.

--
Helgi Briem
hbriem AT gmail DOT com

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

There are quite a number of bands whose bassist does the lead vocals

Such as my band.

ReplyQuote
(@floydthegolfer)
Estimable Member

Motorhead anyone??

Seem to remember Lemmy Kilminster playing pretty good lead bass, and singing in a fiarly unique way.

"You got the heart kid... but you don't got the tools no more....."
"DRAGOOO!!!!!!!!"

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

I'm surprised nobody's brought up McCartney yet - he's one of the most famous bassist singers. And one of the best, I might add.

ReplyQuote