Clear all

Amp and Strings Question

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@jackthejesusfreak)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

What's the opinion on which bass strings to use? I have an Ibanez GSRM20 bass guitar. I ordered two extra sets of D'Addario EXL170S for the short sale bass I bought. Any opinions or advice?
I am a new bass player. I've played 6 strings ford 44 years. The praise band leader at much church asked me if I could play bass. I accepted the challenge. I don't need a bass because I play through their system at church. I bought a stethoscope amp to practice with. I have a budget of 200 dollars. I know I can get the best deal on ebay, amazon etc. What brand of bass amps do you veterans recommend? I have no clue on bass equipment.
Jack

'Forgiven, forgotten, set free!'

(@xylembassguitar)
Trusted Member

Are you using the bass amp that you'll buy for practicing at home?

If so, for $200 look around Craigslist, Ebay (like you said) and local shops that might have used gear. Definitely try before you buy with used amps. Obviously, play with all knobs/switches to check for bad/scratchy pots and contacts...check inputs, play at low and high volume, etc.

The only thing I would recommend would be to avoid Crate amps...at least in that price range.

Good luck finding a new amp and as the new bass player for your church!

Xylem Handmade Basses and Guitars

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Go to the Bass page in Lessons, and check the various amp articles, plus "Tone Loco" for your string question.

ReplyQuote