Notifications
Clear all

Amp for Bass & Guitar ?

21 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

Pleeaaaaaaaaaaaasssssssssse don't plug a bass into that amp. I beseech you.....
This is why I ask, any specific reason?

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
(@blutic1)
Reputable Member

Bass amps and guitar amps are quite different. Bass amps are way heavier duty. The deeper tones can damage the speakers. I don't know about the other components. Some bass amps have tubes, but most bass players (that I know) like "clean" solid state sound. I sometimes will play my bass through my marshall combo, but only at a volume that barely lets it be heard. Guitar amps can take a lot but you really shouldn't run stereos, bass, or vocals through them. One question I have, concerns those processors like the Digitech GNX3 that lets you run drums, vocals, bass, and guitar through it - into your guitar amp. Anyone know if that somehow "conditions" the signal as to not hurt the amp? Or has anyone ever seen a drum machine hurt a guitar amp?

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Pleeaaaaaaaaaaaasssssssssse don't plug a bass into that amp. I beseech you.....
This is why I ask, any specific reason?
If you do, you stand a really good chance of renaming your amp to Hot Rod Dead.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

I figured it would be something like that.

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
(@classic_rock_kid08)
Trusted Member

One question I have, concerns those processors like the Digitech GNX3 that lets you run drums, vocals, bass, and guitar through it - into your guitar amp. Anyone know if that somehow "conditions" the signal as to not hurt the amp? Or has anyone ever seen a drum machine hurt a guitar amp?

It doesn't work like that, those processors plug into P.A.'s and similar stuff.

Now I will explain why you can't play a bass through a guitar speaker. 1.)The speakers in a bass cab have wobbly, easily bendable cones, so the speaker can move around alot and not rip itself to pieces. Guitar cabs have much stiffer speaker cones, so as to get higher pitches out of them. Bass will blow them. 2.)Bass cabs have to be totally enclosed or specially vented. This keeps the speaker from moving too far too fast. In an open back guitar cab (Marshall 4x12 for example) the speakers move freely to achieve the desired tonal quality. If you played a bass through it louder than being barely audible (as mentioned above) you risk bending the speaker coils, basically the speakers try to jump out of themselves.
hope I helped!

-brandon

Music is one of the most powerful forces on this planet, why not put it to use?
Brandon Pace
http://www.brandonmpace.com

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

Cool. Thanks.

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2