Clear all

Another problem I discovered with tabs, this time my own

5 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I ran into a bit of a brick wall in keeping up with chord changes because I was trying to play a bass note for every beat of that chord in a measure. Specifically I'm talking about Night Moves. I wrote the bass line myself based on the chords. For the most part it's accurate, since I compared it to the published sheet music which I finally got.

But there are a few places where my playing doesn't quite mesh with the recording. Looking at the score I realized that instead of trying to play every note in a measure, there are half notes, whole notes and ties that sustain through the measure while the chord is being strummed. You don't have to play every note. What a dummy! :roll: I realized this driving to work this morning. It hit me like a bolt of lightning.

So that's about it... another pitfall for us nooborns to watch out for.

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

It is just an opinion from another beginner :D

If you work directly with the chords and you create your own bass line, you can play it as you prefer or you like: one note -the root- per measure, two root notes, you can follow the drummer rhythm, you can play the root and also the notes in the chord, you can use a chromatic approach, you can use a riff, etc.

I think it is creativity what you describe and it is fun!

Another issue is if you want to guess the original bass line in the recording.

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

You're absolutely right. The mistake I was making was trying to follow the rhythm guitar beat for beat. Or rather thinking I had to. The score is hard to play from because it's 7 pages (1 sided pages) even though I can read the notes (yay me! I can read notation much better than just a few months ago :D ), so I'll use it to tweak my tab.

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Usually I also start with a 'simplified' version of the bass line and I progressively change it to the final version by adding details or modifying some parts. I don't know if it is right or wrong but meanwhile I am playing the song.

On the other hand, the original player changes also the bass line. For example, currently I am working on the Sting's work. The last week was for Message in a bottle. I used the original recording to guess the bass line. I have two The Police's DVD (really three, but I bought it today, I didn't listen yet). The bass line is different in all the recordings.

And congrats on your improvement in reading! :D

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Usually I also start with a 'simplified' version of the bass line and I progressively change it to the final version by adding details or modifying some parts. I don't know if it is right or wrong but meanwhile I am playing the song.

I tried to run before I could walk. :P
And congrats on your improvement in reading! :D

Thanks. It really does make a big difference. It's also nice being able to tell what key you're in by looking at the key signature. :wink:

ReplyQuote