As if I need another challenge

9 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

:roll:

Rock On by David Essex is admittedly a strange but cool song. I love the "bassy-ness" and "reverby-ness" of it. Anyway: http://www.sheetmusicdirect.us/ecom/sellableGoodView.do?fit2w=1&itemId=1000048483

I'd like to do some kind of arrangement of this, all on bass. There are no triads to play chords, but there are the notes of what I think are C#m and C#m7 individually and in one combo or another. The intro is a no-brainer on bass. The first few beats of the verse are the root and 3rd of C#m, but no 5th until a beat or two later; then a couple of individual notes; then notes from C#m7... you see. A C#m and C#m7 on a bass would be
C#m C#m7
G|--6----------6--------|
D|--6----------6--------|
A|--7----------7--------|
E|-------------7--------|

So I'm thinking of either trying the full chords that I work out, or playing as the individual and octave notes are written. So if anyone has any ideas (*hint hint* :lol: )...

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

(@davidhodge)

Because the notes of the C#m7 chord are C#, E, G# and B, this allows you make use of the two open high strings to make some interesting voicings. For instance, you can play C#m7 with a typical power chord fingering but play all the strings, like this:

x46600

You can also play C#m just like Amaj7 except you don't play the A string:

xx2120

The first way gives you the root note (C#) in the bass while the second has E as the lowest note.

Another way to play it up the neck would be

9 11 11 9 0 0

or

9 7 9 9 0 0

All these ways (especially the first) can be used to make wonderfully spooky arpeggios with the ringing open strings, which could play into making a very cool arrangement.

Hope this helps. And good luck with this one. I think it's a cool song to be trying out!

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Ah, so I am on the right track. Even though a full chord is not written in a piece I can still play (with) it. This is a song that gets played around with, without having a pre-conceived notion of what it should be.

As always, a big thanks. :D

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Oh, those teeny-bop post-pubescent (just!) memories! If I told you what this song meant to me....nah, I'm not going there. Suffice to say, I took a girlfriend to see the film "That'll Be The Day" at the cinema....I was trying to get her away from Donny and David. She fell for David Essex in a BIG way....so I bought her "Rock On" and I was flavour of the month. Funny enough, when I went round to her house, I'd ask her to put "Rock On" on as it was a whole lot better than the songs she had in her record collection.....and I could do a pretty good impression of it, back in those days. She never would listen to "Mott," though - and when I got into Led Zep and Cream she buggered off to South Africa!

Sigh..............

*Goes off to find "Hallelujah Freedom" by Junior Campbell - "Ode To Karen," for that was her name, was on the b-side... that was our song.....*

Sigh...........................................................................

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I read in one YT comments section that he was someone all the girls wanted to bed, the guys wanted to be, but hated.

I keep discovering people and groups 30 and 40 years after they made it big and then retreated behind the scenes to do bigger projects. This is "a day late and a dollar short" on an epic scale. :lol:

David's suggestion of an arrangement is taking shape, but will require some thinking and tinkering. I think it's going to have to be a strummy arrangement with some melody notes arpeggioed in. It will still require a voice. See, the instrumental section follows the melody almost note for note. It's the bass and studio reverb effects that belie that. If you played it on a keyboard, you'd be playing the same notes an octave or three apart. Oh yeah, and it looks the bass is a 5 string. I have a 4 string.

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

I thought it might be a 5-string, or at least BEAD.

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I assumed a 5 string is BEADG. But I guess a 4 string BEAD.

The reason I thought BEAD(G) because the staff looks like it tabs to:

D|------------------------------------|
A|-2-2--4-4--4-4------------------2-2-|
E|------------------------------------|
B|------------------2-2-2-2--0-0------|

I can't get the same low pitch B on my bass. No matter, just a learning experience. And maybe a justification for more gear. :D

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Yeah, my Peavey rig with a 4x10 can't hit the lowest B either.

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

Yeah, my Peavey rig with a 4x10 can't hit the lowest B either.

What model Peavey do you have? I have a 450 Max and I've played it through a 2x10 and had no problem. My son is using it now w/ a 1x15 and he's playing his 5 string tuned down half a step.

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote