Clear all

Bass Amp Question!

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@farseen)
Topic starter  

Hey guys,

I've got a Carvin ProBass500 Head and a Peavey 410w Cab. Throughout the entire time i've had this cab, its been acting up, phasing out, and generally just "sucking". SO its time to replace it. Does anyone have any reccommendations? I want to keep my Carvin, as I can't seem to vision myself selling it!

Thanks !

-watson

PS. I also have no idea how this whole Ohm / Watts thing works. Been playing bass for 5 years and never really considered learning about it =/ although i deffinately should have. So if anyone wants to explain some basics to me, i'de love that too!

(@demoetc)
Noble Member

What do you mean by 'phasing out'?

ReplyQuote
(@farseen)
Topic starter  

well, im pretty sure one of the speakers is blown, but thats not entirely what i'm concerned about. i'm getting a new amp, this one has failed too many times.

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Carvin makes some nice speaker cabs, including 4x10s, but I've also heard really good things about Avatar speakers http://www.avatarspeakers.com/

As far as the ohms thing, the simple way is to just match the rating on whatever speaker cab you get, with the rating on the amp. Like if the amp says 4 ohms, get a 4 ohm speaker cab, etc. Someone will probably be along to give you more specifics on what ohms adds up to what though.

Take care.

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Have you considered just replacing the speakers? Unless the Peavey box is rotted or wobbly, it will probably still work fine.

ReplyQuote
(@manitou)
Estimable Member

That "Phasing out" sounds like the windings in the speaker are loose, I had a Markley bass amp that sounded great, if you kept kicking it so the speaker would make contact and work... heh.

SHUT UP ABOUT IRON MAIDEN SOLOS AND GO PRACTICE!
-Manitou

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Oh yah, like the voice coil is warped or something. I warped a coil on a guitar amp once :wink:

The kicking of the other amp; it could also be that the connectors to the terminals came loose from all the vibrations. Sometimes manufacturers don't solder them on and use those push-on connectors. You might open the back of the Peavy and pull off / push on the connector one at a time - if they're not soldered on.

The other option is like what Laz said. You could get 4 10" speakers and put them in there. It's not that hard to do, except just remember to put the connectors back on the same way so when the speakers get a signal they all move the same way at the same time. You can use a little 9 volt battery and touch the terminals to the tip and sleeve of the plug as it comes out of the cab; the speakers should all jump forward or back, all together.

But if you don't want the do it yourself way, then you can shop around for a cab.

Some guys even go with a 2x10 bass cab and get a pretty rich sound. 4x10 is good, but there's other combinations - 2x10 with a 15 on the bottom, or even 12s are coming back into popularity now, like 2x12.

ReplyQuote