Notifications
Clear all

Bass driven music

21 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@hbriem)
Honorable Member

The Cure. Simon Gallup was usually their bass player, but others have contributed. Their leader, Robert Smith, usually wrote and often played the basslines. He also sometimes adds extra 2nd basslines, often on an antique '60s Fender VI.

The Stranglers. A superb and under-rated (especially in the US) band, driven by their agressive and melodic bass, played by Jean Jacques Burnel. Seeing them live in '78 eventually inspired me to take up the bass.

The Jam. Another band that was huge in the UK and Europe, but never made it in the US. Bruce Foxton had a tone to die for and melody to spare.

--
Helgi Briem
hbriem AT gmail DOT com

ReplyQuote
(@slothrob)
Reputable Member

Can't believe I included the Who and forgot the Jam! I suppose every trio, at least ones made of guitar + bass + drums, would have a strong bass presence.
Also, has anyone heard the remixes of White Stripes "White Blood Cells" with bass added? Jack White approved, but it got quashed by the label pretty quickly; it's interesting.

ReplyQuote
(@illicit)
Estimable Member

Chris Wolstenholme/Muse - Listen to 'Hysteria' or 'Muscle Museum'. One doesn't even notice the parts where the guitar is missing, because the bass makes up such a great deal of the melody.

Steve Harris/Iron Maiden, definetly, for previous stated reasons.

Skunk Anansie - I don't know the guys name from the top of my head, but he is critically underrated. After listen to the album 'Paranoid & Sunburnt' the first time, I had to learn all the lines. Check out 'I can Dream' or 'Twisted (Everyday Hurts)'

Dirk Lance/Alex Katunich/Incubus - I didn't buy the most recent stuff. But Dirk Lance was one of the main reasons that I listened to this band. Always fitting lines, yet most of the time also interesting out of context. And even a few bass solos here and there. I recommend 'Battlestar Scratchalatica' for starters, since it's an instrumental, so the focus isn't on the lead singer.

Justin Chancellor/Tool - Well, I don't know if he is actually used to his full potential, but he can certainly provide pick-played athmospheric lines to add to Tool's soundscape also shows on a few occasion that he can handle the lead role as in 'Schism' and '46 & 2'.

Stuart Zender/Jamiroquai - Need I say more? Check 'Music of the mind' for my favorite of his lines.

Sean Malone/Cynic/Death/Gordian Knot/Aghora - Best bassist to ever grace the earth in the extreme music scene (though doing a lot of jazz too), in my opinion. He is always allowed lots of room to fully expirimented with inducing jazzy flavour to the music he plays, whether it be actual jazz, death metal or ambient. I couldn't choose a band, since he has a driving role in all of them. Check Aghora's Satya here.. and see if you can get a copy of Cynic's 'Veil Of Maya'. Awesome stuff.

Aheem... Went a little overboard with my love for Sean Malone. Sorry 'bout that.

Behold! The great northern viking's pinnacle of evolution! Behold my wavy blonde locks, my icy blue eyes and my muscular physique! Behold my.. screw this, I'm going to McDonald's.

ReplyQuote
(@g-bass)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Wow, thanks for the contribution!
Keep'em comin guys.

G-Bass
Play bass, it just plain rules!

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Here's an interesting one:

http://www.soundclick.com/util/streamM3U.m3u?ID=624100&q=Hi

ReplyQuote
(@g-bass)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I've found YYZ, one of Rush's few instrumental songs to be pretty cool; it has something for drummers and guitarists too, check it out.

G-Bass
Play bass, it just plain rules!

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2