Bass effects?

10 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

So here's a funny thing- I've been playing bass for a year. (Guitar for several)

And I'm loving the bass- been playing bass more than guitar when I play out, and getting into it. I always play straight into the amp, though- no effects at all, just big, deep, loud sounds. (And I really like the different tones I get with the controls on my bass.)

But...I like toys. Those of you who have been on bass longer than me: Are there any effects I should be trying?

BEst,
Ande

(@derek-wilkerson)
Estimable Member

the jim dunlop brands have good bass effects pedals. blowtorch overdrive, bass wah, compressors, etc.. i believe its in the MXR series.

bassist for the crux
Randall RB-125-115 120 watt 15" eminence spk.
Randall RBA 500
2X Acoustic B115's
Peavey T-40
Indiana P-bass

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

Honestly, I've got a $150 pedal board with a few hundred dollars worth of pedals that sit in my studio and never get used. I have a tuner, MXR Bass Octave Deluxe, synth wah, Bass Blogger (Dist/Fuzz), EQ, chorus and compressor. I've used the chorus live a few times and the BOD once. Other than that, I've only used the tuner, EQ and compressor. I'm thinking of getting a small board to just have those 3 pedals so I'll actually use them.

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

My son uses the chanel switch on his bass amp and a Boss graphic EQ pedal in his effects loop. Thats all. Does the rest with his fingers and the knobs on the amp. He has a little Zoom multi FX pedal but doesn't use it.

Yes, I said chanel switch .... his GK has a clean and dirty chanel like a guitar amp.
It is cool!

Ooops! I will leave the low ender thread quietly. :oops: :lol:

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

I rarely use effects. My old amp also had two channels, it is more or less usual in bass amps although my current amp has just one channel.

A octaver is a good thing, I use it when I play some solo in the high range. I have the EBS. I also use a chorus (Fulltone) and an analog delay (MXR): they make the sound "wider" when soloing. And every now and then I use an overdrive, it depends on the song.

An autowah is also useful if you play funk. And a compressor is almost mandatory for some techniques like for example slap&pop.

ReplyQuote
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Interesting- so it seems like I'm more normal than I thought. BAssists, in general, may use less effects than guitarists.

I've played with some pedals belonging to a friend, but have been coming round to the conclusion that most of what I do, a good amp doesn't need any help with. Some sound cool, but none really sound like they fit my sound.

Best,
Ande

PS- I do NOT slap, pop, or funk. ;-)

ReplyQuote
(@brian-krashpad)
Eminent Member

Yeah, I've never used effects for bass.

Then again, I'm a minimalist, period. Use very few effects for guitar also.

ReplyQuote
(@katmetal)
Prominent Member

I like toys too! :mrgreen:

For me, I pretty much will always use reverb on bass or guitar. Without it, the instrument just sounds "flat" to me. I also like the use of chorus or phaser on bass. Of course, maybe only use certain effects on certain songs to achieve a particular sound that was on the original recording.

I have a bass wah, but I am not really happy with the sound I get from it - maybe I need to experiment with it more.

ReplyQuote
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Wow- you always use reverb?

Even on guitar, most reverb effects annoy me, so I never thought to try it on bass.

Don't know why, but I've just never cared for it. I'll give it a go, though..

Best,
Ande

ReplyQuote
(@xylembassguitar)
Trusted Member

One thing I've found with bass effects: a lot of them suck. Definitely try before you buy, especially bass wah effects.

Having said that, here are my fav's:

Delay - especially if you can get a dual delay with a tap tempo so you can have one echoing 8th notes and the other echoing 16th notes (or other combinations)

Wah - note the warning above

Phaser

Chorus

Flange

Overdrive - if you get the right one(s) and dial it in just so, you can get a ton of nice, subtle effects with overdrive on bass. You have to use overdrive pedals gently otherwise you'll just get metally, no-definition-crunch.

Xylem Handmade Basses and Guitars

ReplyQuote