Bass guitar questions

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@louis0stevens)
Topic starter  

Hello, I have some Questions about Electric/Bass Guitar

I'm planning to buy 1 later

-Whats the Difference Between Electric Guitar and Bass Guitar? I dont wanna use it in a band its for home or normal use, what sounds better or can be used in all kind of songs? i dont wanna use it in a specific kind

-Does the Bass guitar sounds like the acoustic/classical guitar when its not plugged in a speaker/amplifier?
I wanna buy a classical guitar for learning how to play guitar before i buy the electric/bass guitar, but i've read that the Acoustic guitar sounds better, so if i bought a classical guitar now and another Bass/electric 1 later its like i would have classical and acoustic guitar, i know that it sounds all rocky and strong when its plugged in the speakers/amplifier, but if its unplugged does it sound like a normal classic/acoustic guitar?

Thanks

Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Electric guitars and bass guitars are two different instruments. An electric guitar is a (usually) 6 string guitar that needs an external system to amplify the sound. You can find many different styles in the electric guitar section.

A bass guitar has (usually) 4 strings and the pitch is lower than the guitars. The rol in a band, in general in music, is different to the guitar. Try to search some videos in YouTube and you will watch and hear the difference.

And, no, the bass guitar doesn't sounds like an acoustic/classical guitar. When plugged, the bass guitar could sound like a double bass (at least the instrument was made to achieve an equivalent sound). When unplugged you can not hear an electric bass guitar.

Try to decide which instrument do you want to play and what type of music do you want to play. Then, choose an instrument. If you want to play bass guitar it is not needed you start with a classical guitar.

The acoustic guitars do not sound better than the classical guitars.

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member

A bass guitar has (usually) 4 strings and the pitch is lower than the guitars. The rol in a band, in general in music, is different to the guitar. Try to search some videos in YouTube and you will watch and hear the difference.

To expand on Nuno's explanation, the main role of the bass is rhythm at the low end. A bass is tuned an octave lower than an electric or acoustic 6-string. Look at the bass line on standard sheet music and you'll see that the few notes written are usually the R or 3rd and/or 5th of the chord. Those are the simplest and often most effective bass lines. This is one of my favorite videos. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiyf7OfYMoA (yes Obladi Oblada in Portuguese :wink: ). Watch and listen to the bass player. Good shots of him playing at about :52 to :55, 2:02 to 2:07, and 2:14 to 2:19. He's pretty much playing just the root notes of the rhythm guitar.

And then there's this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Dy56iQd6Jg Keep an eye on Nick Olivieri on bass throughout the vid.

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

ReplyQuote