Clear all

Bass Swap

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Although I really liked my Fender J-Bass, I wasn't getting the tone I was really wanting for the music I'm playing now. So I posted an ad on Craig's List yesterday looking for someone who had a P-Bass and wanted to swap. I got a response and met the guy last night. He is now the proud owner of my J-Bass and I am the proud owner of a 1998 MIM Fender Precision Bass in Olympic White, which has naturally colored a bit.

Bass player for Undercover

(@alangreen)

Neat, but I have a question

I do everything on the amp or with FX. Exactly how much difference is there between basses when it comes to sound and tone?

Confused A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

It's in the pickups. With the J-Bass, if I used both pickups, my sound was too bright and I was blending in with the guitars. if I used just the neck pickup, it was too quiet. The P-Bass has a deeper, more bass-y sound.

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Nice (new) bass!

Probably I could do the same. I like my J-bass but I use the middle pick-up alone for almost all the songs. I add a little bit of that deep tone with the amp settings and by using the fingers in different positions.

ReplyQuote