Clear all

Bass Tab Challenge!!!!

12 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@mrjonesey)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

My band is thinking about adding the song 'Goin Out West' as done by Warren Haynes/Government Mule. The only version of the song I can find on line is the original as done by Tom Waitts.

The first person to post an accurate bass line for this song will win the following:

1. I will announce you as a Bass Legend in my signature line for a month.
2. I will feature your picture with credits for your contribution on the front page of our bands website.
3. I will announce your name and give you credit the first time we perform the song publicly.

Sorry, I'm too poor to offer cash prizes. But I will also buy you a lager if you make it out to mid-Michigan some time soon.

Anyway, you can find a video sample on YouTube ... I would REALLY appreciate the help if anyone has time and are up to it.

It is a really cool song with a fairly strong bass line.

Thanks!

Jim

"There won't be any money. But when you die, on your death bed, you will receive total conciousness. So, I got that going for me. Which is nice." - Bill Murray, Caddyshack ~~ Michigan Music Dojo - http://michiganmusicdojo.com ~~

(@mrjonesey)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

One hint - I believe it's in the key of C :)

"There won't be any money. But when you die, on your death bed, you will receive total conciousness. So, I got that going for me. Which is nice." - Bill Murray, Caddyshack ~~ Michigan Music Dojo - http://michiganmusicdojo.com ~~

ReplyQuote
(@mrjonesey)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

OK, if nobody has time to work it out, how about if I offer a conciliation prize for a bass line that is not necessarily accurate, yet sounds real cool with the song.

I won't give you quite the same accolades, but I will tell my mom about how cool you are.

:D

Thanks!

Jim

ReplyQuote
(@maliciant)
Reputable Member

Is your mom hot?

ReplyQuote
(@lunchmeat)
Estimable Member

If you can find the song online and post a link here, I'll give it a shot - transcribing by ear is fun.

I found something on Youtube but I don't think this is the song you mean...

Let me know. I don't log on to GN nearly as much as I used to (in fact, I'm never here) but let me know and I'll see what I can do.

-lunchmeat

ReplyQuote
(@mrjonesey)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

That's it. That is the original my Tom Waitts. The version we want to do is from a benefit concert as performed by Government Mule with the bass player from Wide Spread Panic. This is the only clip I can find of Wide Spread Panics version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYp5T-00JKQ&mode=related&search=

Lousy hand recorder recording, but between the two I think you can get the gist.

Government Mule has a great version, but I can't find a sample anywhere. Anyway, this is the bass player that I like.

Hope it comes through for you. As long as it's a cool bass line (not too complicated) that fits this song, I'll give you credit for the win here.

Thanks!

Jim

ReplyQuote
(@lunchmeat)
Estimable Member

Bass seems to be playing in the key of Cm for most of it...but that's probably not quite right. I could make it the C natural minor, judging from the recording, but it's kinda hard to hear what's going on. I'm mostly hearing roots and minor thirds.

Seems this is a basic 1-4-5 blues progression with some slight changes...looks like I'll have to improvise here. You're aiming to sound more like the Widespread panic version, I see. I can tab something out quickly for this, I think - I don't know how involved you want it. I'll just go ahead and do it and see what you think.

Edit: I said 1-4-5 progression before. I changed this because it could be misinterpreted.

-lunchmeat

ReplyQuote
(@lunchmeat)
Estimable Member

Intro...well, this is what I improvised from the two videos. I didn't want to change it much, as I figure you want to stay as true to the song as possible.

(The underscores are tied notes, if that makes any sense. The numbers 1, 2, 3, 4 below the scores indicate the beats and the asterisks are just ditto marks.I haven't quite figured out what notation to use for tab...)

As for the verse part, I think you can really just get away with pounding on the root and minor third. There's a little transition from the verse to what I believe might be the chorus? The F chord. I can write a little riff or run there, let you walk around the bass a bit.
GOIN' OUT WEST as performed by GOVERNMENT MULE

Tuning: Standard EADG
Time Signature: 4/4
Key Signature: C Minor

Intro:
G:----------------|----------------|----------------|----------------+
D:--5-2-----5-2---|--5-2-----5-2---|--5-2-----5-2---|--5-2-----5-2---+
A:3-----3__-----3___-----3__-------|3-----3__-----3___-----3__-------+
E:----------------|--------------2-|----------------|--------------2-+
1 2 3 4 * * * * * * * * * * * *

D:--5-2-----5-2---|--5-2-----5-2---|--5-2-----5-2---|--5-2-----5-2---+
A:3-----3__-----3___-----3__-------|3-----3__-----3___-----3__-------+

-lunchmeat

ReplyQuote
(@mrjonesey)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I like it. I'll give it a try when I get home, but it looks like it will give that "driving" feel that I'm looking for. If you have time I would be interested in also seeing what kind of riff you come up with for the transition between the verse and chorus. I'll try just poinding the root and minor third, like you said, other wise.

Great stuff!

Thanks!

You will definitely get props on our website and the first time we perform it.

Thanks again,

Jim

ReplyQuote
(@lunchmeat)
Estimable Member

Ah, shit, wait, whoops! Don't use that!

I fucked it up.

Somehow, when I typed it, I typed it in major instead of minor...I'll redo it. Just don't use that or else it'll sound REALLY out of place when the guitarist plays the chords....sorry. All the Es should be minor... so the 2s on the D string should actually be 6s on the A string.

-lunchmeat

ReplyQuote
(@lunchmeat)
Estimable Member

Alright. Fixed the error from earlier, also added some other stuff. I'm at work so it took longer than I thought it would. (That's also why I made the mistake I did - I don't have my bass, and I don't think in tab...so I have to convert the tune to numbers, and that doesn't really work. (I usually learn by ear, not by tab.))

The bass stuff I wrote for the chorus area, it's kinda crappy, but I mean, it's your bass line so you can change it however you want. This is not completely faithful to the song, so I took some liberties. I'm sure you'll be able to write something a little cooler than what I managed.

Best of luck with the bass riff - I didn't really tab out everything from start to finish, so you'll have to fill in a lot of it, but hey - that's half of the fun, and all of the learning. Good luck!
GOIN' OUT WEST as performed by GOVERNMENT MULE
(Please note that I do not really know the full structure of the song, as I'm really only listening to the clips in snippets, since I'm at work. I figure you can improvise the fills and the parts I've missed with your band.)

Tuning: Standard EADG
Time Signature: 4/4
Key Signature: C Minor

Intro:
D:--5-------5-----|--5-------5-----|--5-------5-----|--5-------5-----+
A:3---6-3__---6-3___---6-3__---6---|3---6-3__---6-3___---6-3__---6---+

D:--5-------5-----|--5-------5-----|--5-------5-----|--5-------5-----+
A:3---6-3__---6-3___---6-3__---6---|3---6-3__---6-3___---6-3__---6---+

Verse (Note the mini-fills at the end of four bars. These are just examples from the music – you can get creative here):
D:----------------|--5-------------|----------------|--5-------------+
A:3-3-6-6-3-3-6-3-|3---6-3---------|3-3-6-6-3-3-6-6-|3---6-3__-6-6---+
E:----------------|----------------|----------------|--------------3-+

D:----------------|--5-------------|----------------|--5-------------+
A:3-3-6-6-3-3-6-3-|3---6-3---------|3-3-6-6-3-3-6-6-|3---6-3-------1-+
E:----------------|----------------|----------------|----------1-3---+

Chorus (This is F for two bars, C for two, F for two, and then G. After that, back into C for the verse or whatever comes next. Again, this is just a simple example of what you could do – try humming something you think sounds cool, and then try to play it!)
triplet
G:----------------|--1---1-----0---|----------------|--3h5-----------+
D:--------3-3-1---|----3---3-4-----|--------3--1----|----------------+
A:----3-3-------3___---------------|3-------------3_____---3-6-3-6-3-+
E:1-1-------------|----------------|------3---------|----------------+

D:----------------|----0-0-2-2-3-3-|5-----5-----5_____---------------+
A:--------0-0-2-2-|3-3-------------|----------------|----------------+
E:1-1-3-3---------|----------------|--3-3---3-3-----|----------------+

-lunchmeat

ReplyQuote
(@mrjonesey)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Man, that's awesome! I can't wait to try it out (it will actualy be my wife trying it out as she is the bass player)! I'm afraid I'm not much of a bass instructor for her. I bought her a video and book for basic techniques, and if I can't find a tab for a particular song, I just have her play the root on the down beats. I didn't know how to help her on this one. You have been a HUGE help!

Thanks!

Jim

ReplyQuote