Clear all

Bass Technique?

21 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@lunchmeat)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Coming back to this topic. We don't have that many bassists here, do we...this area is pretty lethargic!

I have just been shown the greatness that is the floating thumb. Does anyone use this technique, and if so, any tips?

Thanks.

-lunchmeat

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

I usually plant my thumb on either the side of the neck or on one of the pickups. I've heard mention of this technique and so googled it. There's something by Todd Johnson on youtube where he demonstrates it.

Other places describe the floating thumb as anchoring on the lowest string and then moving back and off it when it's time to use it. Sometimes I do anchor on the low string and move off to play, but I don't use the technique that Todd uses where the whole hand is gliding up and down. It's sorta neat looking; I might try it. It's supposed to be especially good for ERB's like with 6+ strings. I mean for those, you almost have to do it because you can't really span that distance - from pickup edge to highest string - without really doing a good span or awkward wrist angle.

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

I have just been shown the greatness that is the floating thumb. Does anyone use this technique, and if so, any tips?

The way I've seen it explained, it seems much more important if you have more than four strings.

That said, I don't keep my thumb in one place like a thumbrest. I use it to mute the E string when I'm playing other strings, and I anchor it on the pickup when I play the E. But I don't really think about it - it just goes where it wants.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Yes, that's pretty much the way I play too, but it usually defaults to thumb on pickup or side of neck.

I've also just read that there's 'floating thumb' and 'moveable anchor.' Some people seem to think they're the same, others think they're distinct; floating thumb being where the thumb doesn't touch anything until you want to mute a string, the other where the thumb anchors on different strings as you move up and down across the strings. The moveable anchor seems to be what I probably do - I don't think much of it while I'm playing - but you're right about the consensus; seems that it's more important for basses with more than 4-5 strings.

I'm not really into basses with more than 5 strings, but I can imagine playing an 11-string or something; I sure wouldn't be able to anchor on the pickup cover for very long.

EDIT: Oh, as far as my avatar, I only rarely play with a flatpick, but when I do, the thumb floats in a different way ;)

ReplyQuote
(@lunchmeat)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Yeah, I watched the Todd Johnson clip, that's where I learned about the technique. I've been trying it out lately and it's a little frustrating, as I've got to re-learn everything I've been doing - I figure this will help me with my muting problems, though, and will build a better foundation if I ever switch to a bass with more than four strings. (With my old technique, a 5-string would've killed me; I currently anchor on the E with my thumb when I'm not using it, and I try to mute the A with my ring finger, with little success.) As you said, DemoEtc, it does look much cooler. I think the reason ERB players use it, though, is not primarily due to the stretch - it's just that when you play a note on any string, complementary harmonics ring on the other strings. Those have to be muted, or else it would soon become a cacophony of excess sound.

FT also seems very intuitive, because with the floating hand position, switching to different styles is very simple. Want to play slap? Just extend your thumb. Want to play fingerstyle? You don't have to take your thumb off of a string or pickup, or anything. Your hand is in the natural position common to most styles of play, even rasgueado.

It's frustrating, though. You've got to keep your elbow up (like he says in the video) and I often find myself dropping the arm out of laziness. I'm trying to overcome that, but it's a hard habit to break. I'm also having problems moving from the shoulder, instead of pulling my hand from the fingers when I move up a string. It's kind of a difficult technique to master, i suppose. But, upside, i have less ringing strings. With more practice, I'll have no extra resonance at all. I'm having problems switching strings, I guess that will also come with practice.

Hah...doesn't it suck when you have to relearn everything you know? I was doing so well, too... :P

-lunchmeat

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Yah, I did a 'relearn' many years ago with flatpicking on guitar: I started off - because my thumb is that way - holding the pick with the back edge hitting the string first; sorta like Neal Schon, Santana and George Benson as I later found out. Felt really natural.

Then I saw where you're supposed to hold it angled down so the front edge hits the string first. Took a while but I mastered it. BUT now I wish I'd kept the orginal technique since it was so natural. Been playing too many years this way so despite thinking about going back, I probably never will.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2