Clear all

Can't tune G string.

8 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@timoo918)
Topic starter  

Hello!

I'm looking for some serious help to repair my bass guitar.
I can't seem to tune the G string any higher.
The tone will get higher at first but then a loud snap is heard and it goes back to what it was.
My G is extremely out of tune which makes it impossible to play at the moment.

Any suggestions are appreciated, but please go easy on me with the guitar language :p

(@alangreen)

Sounds like you've lost a cog tooth on the machine head. Easy to replace if you're confident.

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@lesspaul)
Trusted Member

I love how concise Alan is. I would have written 3 pages on all the possibilities. Yeah, it's most likely what he said tho. Watch the tuning machine as you tighten it (wear eye pro). see if the machine just lets loose when you hear the crack.

What machines are they?

If they're cheaper, and I liked the instrument, i'd consider upgrading the whole set of machines. Just my 2 cents.

~Yours Troubadorly,
http://www.sergiopaulomusic.com

ReplyQuote
(@timoo918)
Topic starter  

I love how concise Alan is. I would have written 3 pages on all the possibilities. Yeah, it's most likely what he said tho. Watch the tuning machine as you tighten it (wear eye pro). see if the machine just lets loose when you hear the crack.

What machines are they?

If they're cheaper, and I liked the instrument, i'd consider upgrading the whole set of machines. Just my 2 cents.

I've only been playing for about a year so still using a relatively cheap one. Right now that is the Washburn XB-400, not sure what machines. Like I said still kind of new to all this.

ReplyQuote
(@timoo918)
Topic starter  

I guess I'll contact a guitar store in my area, not too confident about repairing it myself haha. Thanks! :)

ReplyQuote
(@lesspaul)
Trusted Member

Yeah, if it were me personally I'd buy a set of medium range tuning machines and swap the set.

For you, I'd probably try buying an individual machine somewhere. Back in the day, you couldn't do that but it's 2017 right? Just make a good effort to buy exactly what you have... even if it means reaching out to washburn.

~Yours Troubadorly,
http://www.sergiopaulomusic.com

ReplyQuote
(@waylon)
Trusted Member

ReplyQuote
(@artisan-luthiers)

I suggest starting with the easy/lowest cost possibilities. Basically, your problem string has either problems maintaining tension (tune) or it is binding in the nut. Work down this list.
;

1. Strings - probably not the strings but installing fresh strings never hurts.
2. Inspect every element that touches the string.
- Tuning machine head. Yes, a gear may be flawed. (agree that this is a likely cause)
- Nut string slot width. Did you go to heavier strings? Is your nut in good condition?
- Saddles. Is your string properly positioned over the saddle? Is the saddle level?
- Bridge. Is your bridge secured tightly to the body?

The real secret to a happy life is making good decisions.

ReplyQuote