Clear all

Convincing my friend to get a bass

10 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@rollnrock89)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hello, I play guitar, and id like my friend to get a bass so we can jam, maybe even start a band.  Can anyone maybe give me a few songs to have him listen to, to inspire him?

The first time I heard a Beatles song was "Let It Be." Some little kid was singing along with it: "Let it pee, let it pee" and pretending he was taking a leak. Hey, that's what happened, OK?-some guy

(@preston)
Trusted Member

Roll. You don't tell us if your friend already plays an instrument or not, or if your friend is even interested in music.
What if they love to listen to it, but have no desire to play? Is that going to make a good Bass player? Of course not.

More info, please?

"Don't try to describe a KISS concert if you've never seen it." Jimmy Buffett

ReplyQuote
(@taylorr)
Prominent Member

Money by pink floyd.  fun song.

aka Izabella

ReplyQuote
(@petrix)
Estimable Member

Anything by the Red hot chilli peppers, if Flea doesn't inspire someone to play bass, i don't know what will!

"I had these dreams that I would learn to play guitar, maybe cross the country, become a rock star"

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Yeah, get him to listen to Californication and Under The Bridge. However, I agree with Preston - if people don't express an interest by themselves, chances are they just won't at all.

ReplyQuote
(@rollnrock89)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hes expressed interest, just not enough to save up his money.  I know if someone gave him a free bass, hed play it.  He doesnt make much money, so it would be a big purchase for him.

The first time I heard a Beatles song was "Let It Be." Some little kid was singing along with it: "Let it pee, let it pee" and pretending he was taking a leak. Hey, that's what happened, OK?-some guy

ReplyQuote
(@petrix)
Estimable Member

Hmm, thats always a problem. Basses are always more expensive than guitars. He could try the ukelele!

"I had these dreams that I would learn to play guitar, maybe cross the country, become a rock star"

ReplyQuote
(@deaky)
Eminent Member

I'm the same I guess. I want to play the bass but at around 500 dollars I can't afford that which is a shame because I really want to play the bass.

You're my best friend but another one bites the pressure!

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

Peavey has some good ones in the mid $300's, I think Yamaha does too.  They are both well worth the money.  Most basses in the mid $300's should be good for a beginner.  Some feel it is okay to go lower in price, maybe, but only on a STRONG recomendation from someone who really knows what's going on with the basses.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@davem)
Estimable Member

I bought my first bass used.  It wasn't the best bass but it got me through the gigs.  Then I saved up and bought a G&L climax bass and have been very happy with it.

Dave

Sometimes in life you get shown the light,
In the strangest of places if you look at it right.

ReplyQuote