Clear all

Counting Eigth Notes

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@gotdablues)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Since I got a Bass for my birthday, I have realized Bass playing posses many of it's own challanges, especially a challange to my timing. So learning from a drummer here....

http://www.freedrumlessons.com/drum-lessons/eighth-notes.php

Seems to be helping me quite a bit :D

Pat

Crow
(@crow)
Honorable Member

Bass is a whole different instrument from guitar. It's like a different way of thinking, a different way of life. Even if you don't gravitate toward the bass as your primary instrument, your bass study will give you a deeper knowledge of rhythm -- of THE BEAT -- than most guitar players have. Go for it!

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whipped cream." - Frank Zappa

ReplyQuote
(@gotdablues)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

The Beat is exactly why I'm using sheet music for one particular Rolling Stones song, where I was using TAB and trying to use my ear, making my best guess just wasn't working out, I didn't think. This drummer guy helped explain how to count through quarter notes and eighth notes that are “mixed together” well enough to where given a little time and patience, I should potentially get this song dead on….

So I have a goal

Brown Sugar BTW

ReplyQuote
(@crazyeelboy)

I know this is an old thread, but the point is a good one. Learning to count for notes just simply takes practice. Start easy and move on - stick with it and you'll get there.

Unfortunately, the widespread use of TAB rather than standard notation focuses only on where notes are located on the instrument, but pretty much ignores the groove.

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

I've noticed that when I started playing guitar, I always tapped my foot in the standard quarter note rhythm. After switching to bass, I've noticed lately that I've changed to actually tapping my foot to eighth notes instead. I do it when I'm counting out a song and playing.

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote
(@crazyeelboy)

That's interesting how you look at counting differently on guitar and bass. One of the cool things (in my view) about bass is that the precise timing of hitting notes is totally critical and that makes one really focus on the rhythm.

ReplyQuote
(@the-musical-box)

That's interesting how you look at counting differently on guitar and bass. One of the cool things (in my view) about bass is that the precise timing of hitting notes is totally critical and that makes one really focus on the rhythm.

Some of the best drummer I know are also excellent bass players. Drumming on the strings in an ace way to really get a groove on!

ReplyQuote