Clear all

Difference in Pickups

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@daria)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Okay, this has probabaly been asked before and if so I apologize. What is the difference between jazz, passive, and soapbar pickups? Thanks everyone!  ;)

"Dream as though you will live forever; live as though you will die today." ~James Dean

(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Hey Daria!

Actually, I don't think we've discussed pick-up technology much.  They are much like strings, in that each brand and style has it's own "sound", some of which is based on technology, but some is based on more subjective factors.

Do you have a specific problem with your pickups, or are you just curious?

-Laz

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

Jazz, I assume refers to Fender Jazz bass style pickups, which are just a straight single coil pickup.  Passive pickups are pickups that are not amplified by the guitar itself (this is the norm).  Soapbar pickups, I believe, are pickups that look sort of like a bar of soap.

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

I personally have not gotten to the point where I am listening to the different sounds of pickups.  It seems to me, though that all the basses I like have two humbuckers.  I generally go for how the bass feels and plays, then looks.  I know different manufacturers of basses can have a unique sound due to different reasons.  Scale length, the wood of the body (type and thickness), the wood of the neck and fretboard, the string types and guages, and of course the number of pickups and type (single, J's or P's, doubles).   That's all before you even get to your amplification.  I would love to be able to do some sort of "scientific" experiment comparing many different basses with different options thru one type of amp.  Could be quite fun.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@daria)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Do you have a specific problem with your pickups, or are you just curious?

-Laz

Just curious.  ;) Thanks everyone!

"Dream as though you will live forever; live as though you will die today." ~James Dean

ReplyQuote