Skip to content
Do many of you use ...

Notifications
Clear all

Do many of you use a compression pedal for bass?

8 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@corbind)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Why? I've been running a borrowed bass through my guitar effects processor. I only put the compressor on and I think it sounds much better than without because it smooths out the louder/softer parts I accidentally play.

So do many of you use a compression pedal for bass? Also, if so, which one and why?

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

I don't use one. It does smooth out uneven volume, but it's a lot cheaper to just learn to play evenly.

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

I never liked compressors back when they came out, and never used on - on guitar. Then I got a POD a few years back and really started liking it - especially for bass. I record with a touch of compression - like on the POD, around 12 o'clock - but now that I've got a proper bass amp (Fender Bassman 100 combo - the 25lb one) and it doesn't have compression, I rehearse without compression on the POD to get used to the sound.

I...sorta like it without compression in a way. Probably still use it on recordings though, just so there's at least 'one' less track I have to worry about peaking the meters when mixing.

Like Paul said though, sometimes it's better to be able to just do dynamics with your playing technique.

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Ah, I forgot to mention one thing. When playing guitar I play through a tube amp that naturally compresses when I get it crankin' (especially live). I've been playing through the bass player's solid-state amp that give no natural compression so maybe that's what I'm missing.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@last-day-living)

Whats a compression pedal do?

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

It even out volume. When you're playing quietly, it amplifies your signal, but the louder you play the less it amplifies it, so everything comes out about the same.

ReplyQuote
(@last-day-living)

It even out volume. When you're playing quietly, it amplifies your signal, but the louder you play the less it amplifies it, so everything comes out about the same.

Oh. That could be quite useful.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

I use it. Always. On almost everything, from drums to vocals to guitars and basses. Just don't overdo it.

ReplyQuote