Skip to content
Eek! The Church Ban...

Notifications
Clear all

Eek! The Church Band Needs A Bass Player ...

11 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

And guess who stuck his foot in it and volunteered?!?! :shock:

I was totally up front: been playing guitar less than two years but progressing nicely; only noodled on a bass a couple times; will need to learn the basics ...

Still they said "bring it on!"

They play mostly contemporary worship music, not very rock-oriented but they let loose today with a swinging gospel number. It's going to be fun.

But man, I'm in deep now ... so it's time to go shopping!

Of course, any and all advice will be appreciated! Neck scale, amps, lessons, an advance copy of David's book (hint hint) ...

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Good for you, Slejhamer! I've always thought that it's good for you to stick your neck out every once in a while! It's a great way to grow!

Have fun with it! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Elecktra. LOL, having now passed the 40 year age barrier, finding ways to keep growing is probably a good thing. Otherwise I'd just shrink ... :D

Been reading all the threads in the bass section ... whew! Lots of stuff there.

Saw a nice used Fender j-bass on my local Craigslist, but I'm concerned about the scale (I have slightly smaller than average hands.) Thinking a Mustang might be easier to get into, though it will cost more.

Going to GC as soon as my wife gets home from shopping ... :)

Funny thing is, if I were just buying a bass to satisfy GAS, there's no way my wife would let me spend the dough. But since it's for church, she's all for it. The Spirit moves people in strange ways!

ReplyQuote
(@jmb-d)
Estimable Member

Way to go, slej -- enjoy!

A buddy of mine started playing (guitar) in his church's praise band a year or so ago, and has been having a blast with it. He grouses sometimes about the pressure of having to play things with no practice time -- "ok guys, today we're playing [x, y, z]" just before the service starts -- nut he still loves it.

Nothing like a regular "gig" to build skills/confidence! 8)

In walking, just walk. In sitting, just sit. Above all, don't wobble.
-- Yun-Men

ReplyQuote
(@flashback)
Reputable Member

Stick with a nice 34" scale. You'll thank me later. I know super tiny small chicks who string up 6 string tobias basses. So I am pretty sure you can handle a regular sized scale.

I am pretty sure your church band has a PA. So dont bother purchasing a regular bass amplifier. Take a look at the Tech21 Sansamp Bassdriver DI box (plugstraight into the PA and great for recording!) Or try the Tech21 RB! Rackmount (I use this for live gigs) into the PA. They give great tone shaping heck if its good enough for Geddy Lee its good enough for you. And its cost effective. So you can afford a higher end bass!

As for lessons unless your church band is doing Primus or Stu Hamm songs I think you will be safe studying up on roots and fifths licks. And different bass techniques (ex. slapping and etc.)

I think what really got me going on bass is how geezer butler (black sabbath) said on a dvd one time "In the beginning I just simply followed the guitar riffs, just an octave down." Which in most cases works just remember when you run into chords to play the root or fifth of that chord and not all the notes.

As for books I have no clue brother. Just practice with the band and learn those songs!

GN's resident learning sponge, show me a little and I will soak it up.

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

He grouses sometimes about the pressure of having to play things with no practice time -- "ok guys, today we're playing [x, y, z]" just before the service starts -- nut he still loves it.

Ha ha - now that's pressure! I talked to the band director about all that stuff - they practice 10 songs per month (with some overlap from month to month), and meet at least once per week for practice, so it should be manageable. Then again, I've never played with anyone but my teacher ... :shock:

Stick with a nice 34" scale. You'll thank me later. I know super tiny small chicks who string up 6 string tobias basses. So I am pretty sure you can handle a regular sized scale.

I tried the regular scale basses ... and they were much more playable than I expected. The Fender j-basses in particular felt very good ... but then I played the only Mustang in the store. I immediately knew it was what I wanted. Just felt perfect, and so easy to play. Sounded great too. And, since I stayed until after closing time, I was able to negotiate a good deal as they tried to push me out the door. 8)

Vintage white, what a great looking axe!

What should I name her? Sally? :lol:
I am pretty sure your church band has a PA. So dont bother purchasing a regular bass amplifier. Take a look at the Tech21 Sansamp Bassdriver DI box (plugstraight into the PA and great for recording!)

That's interesting. Yes, they do have a PA and I'll pick up a cheapy Behringer DI box for that ... but what about practicing when I'm not near the PA? I'll still need a regular amp, right? Also what about when I'm playing live - will I be able to hear myself through the PA, or will I need my amp as a monitor?

I did get a little Fender 60 watter - it was without question the best sounding amp under $300 in the store (I talked them down to $240.) But I can take it back within 30 days if you've got a better solution! :)

I think you will be safe studying up on roots and fifths licks.

Ah, now that's great advice! Nothing like keeping it simple. I'm going to check out the bass lessons on the GN page next!

ReplyQuote
(@flashback)
Reputable Member

I must say... thats a pretty bass. Sally is definitly a good name. I dunno dude. amp wise I trust Fender's I myself at one point used a Fender 400 Pro. Came with built in compression and a rackmount korg tuner. All in a combo thats not that back breaking!

OH! Another tip. If you follow the roots and fifth principal. Be sure to make your tone not abstract but not the same as the guitars or other instruments tones. It tends to drown you out.

Have fun with Sally! (Buddy Guy gets me going by the way... "DAMN RIGHT I GOT THE BLUES!")

GN's resident learning sponge, show me a little and I will soak it up.

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

8)

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

That's interesting. Yes, they do have a PA and I'll pick up a cheapy Behringer DI box for that ... but what about practicing when I'm not near the PA? I'll still need a regular amp, right?
I run mine through my guitar practice amp - the tone's not perfect and I can't crank it (distorts pretty easily, don't want to damage the speaker), but it's fine for me for learning a few songs here and there :)

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Definitely Sally! What else could you possibly name her? :D Great looking bass, Slejhamer! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Sally and I are getting along quite well so far. We're having tons of fun playing riffs together. Money, Low Rider, some 12-bar blues (Pride & Joy), and of course Boris the Spider. :)

She's got an aggressive sound, not P- or J-, but a unique voice. Hard to describe unless you have played one. I'm told that Bill Wyman of the Stones used a Mustang bass at some point, as did Tina Weymouth (sp?) of Talking Heads.

I'm going to put slightly heavier strings on her, as I find the 40-95 set just a little floppy. 45-100s should do the trick, though I might go to 105 for the low E. Also I'm going to try half-rounds for a slightly warmer tone - hopefully those won't kill the sustain the way flatwounds do (no offense to flatwound players - they're just not for me.)

The factory set-up was "ok." Neck relief is a little too high, as is the action, so I'll adjust both when I restring her. Which brings me to the only thing I really don't like about the Mustang: the truss rod access is at the neck joint, so I have to totally remove the neck to adjust relief. That means I have to guess how far to go, reattach the neck and restring her, then check relief again. Lather, rinse, repeat as necessary.

But other than that, I'm very pleased with her.

So I emailed the coordinator of the church band this morning ... asked her for a list of songs they're playing so I can figure out the bass lines. Getting in deeper!!!

ReplyQuote