Notifications
Clear all

Fretless bass

9 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@tomas)
Topic starter  

Does enyone play a fretless bass? Is there a big difference between fretted and fretless bass playing techniques? I've heard, that playing a fretless one you need to put the fingers on the place where were the frets on a fretted bass. Is it true?

(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Yes, it's true...

Try this...

https://www.guitarnoise.com/article.php?id=170

-Laz

ReplyQuote
(@woodenfret)
Trusted Member

It's true. And the tuning has to be different too (lower strings to get that double bass sound effect)

Slap & tap it!

ReplyQuote
(@tomas)
Topic starter  

Woodenfret, what do you mean "the tunning has to be different too"? Are the strings lower or what?

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

No, they are tuned the same. I don't know what he's talking about. The two biggest differences are that you have to put your fingers in exactly the right spot, and if you try to mute a string just by lifting your finger you are more likely to get clattering noises than on a fretted bass. The degree depends on how clear your tone is. Flat wound strings do it less. I play exclusively fretless.

ReplyQuote
(@woodenfret)
Trusted Member

Woodenfret, what do you mean "the tunning has to be different too"? Are the strings lower or what?

Sorry, my english must be revised. I mean the strings must be almost parralel to the neck of the bass when pressing the bottom and ending of it.

Peace

Slap & tap it!

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

Did you mean tuning like when a car gets a tune-up?

I think you mean that they generally have lower action (string height) and less relief (bow) in the neck. That increases mwah (a technical term).

ReplyQuote
(@woodenfret)
Trusted Member

Yes, like the cars :wink:

Slap & tap it!

ReplyQuote
(@illicit)
Estimable Member

I started on a fretless and I play fretless as my main bass right now. The main advantages are of course the sound (like it or not), it usually has a deep, growling sorta sound compared to most fretted. Greater tonal possibilites, there's hundreds of notes that you just can't get on a fretted bass (Quarter notes, oh my) and of course, the slides. The wonderful smooth slides.

Since I started out on a fretless, it took a little adjustment (about half an hour) to get used to playing a fretted, but smooth sailing since then. It has greatly improved my ear and I can easily hear when I'm the least bit out of tune now, which in turn helped my singing. A skill a lot of fretted players don't have. I think it helped my soloing, because I don't learn at first by thinking patterns, I was just expressing myself all over the neck, slightly out of tune and played whatever and it sounded good (I have since learned and applied theory, but that phase of just listening has been really helpful).

So, if you can't tell.. I'm pro-fretless.

Behold! The great northern viking's pinnacle of evolution! Behold my wavy blonde locks, my icy blue eyes and my muscular physique! Behold my.. screw this, I'm going to McDonald's.

ReplyQuote