Clear all

Gallien-Krueger Vs. Ampeg

8 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@doudouggin)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I am currently playing on stage with an Ampeg B-2 combo that is using its pre-amp to go in to a Peavey Mark 8 bass head which powers my Ampeg svt 410hlf cabinet. It seems like a lot of gear and a lot of unused capability from my 410 hlf. It sounds great when it is all hooked up but when I take it apart for smaller venus it doesn't sound to good next to the loud drums.

So I have been looking around to somehow minimize my equipment by getting rid of the B2 combo and also the Peavey mark 8 head and replacing them both with the Gallien-Krueger 1001RB-II. This would mean running a smaller rig. I am wondering if I might still be surprised on the amount of Dbs I get out of the new config. ? The GK says that it puts out 700 watts @ 4 Ohms but I can't imagine that being RMS. The RMS for the 410 HLF is 500 with a max of 1000. I also listened to both, an ampeg B4R and the Gk side by side and the Gk sound was much more punchy and produced a better sound variation then the B4R. I even put it next to an Ampeg SVT 4Pro and the Gk held its own.

Prices for the GK were fair as in about $749.99 with a suggested retail of 999.00. But the ampeg stuff was over $900.00 and on up to $1200.00
I am just afraid that once I get the Gk hooked up on stage it wont have the power needed to fill the stage with enough sound.

Anybody have any suggestions or soloutions? I cant believe I am thinking of something other that Ampeg. ??????? I know flea plays GK and others, but what the heck has anybody tried this head out before?

(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Either amp is good, but they do sound different, so be sure you like the tone, and the controls. GKs are solid and reliable.

Why not use the Peavey head with the 4X12? That shouldn't be too big for a small venue.

-Laz

ReplyQuote
(@vulcan25)

Yea deffinatly go to a guitar shop and play on both amps to find the sound you looking for. If you can pplay with the guitar you own so that it will be the same when u get home with your new toy.

ReplyQuote
(@doudouggin)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

OK, So I went to the guitar shop and and tried out the GK 1001rbII amp before like I said in the first post, and found that in that room the GK sounded great compared to the other amps I played out of the same cab.

So now I went ahead and picked up this GK 1001RbII, (after further review via the net). It scared me a bit though when I plugged it all in. I hooked this thing up to my Ampeg 410 HLF cab in my friends living room. I would think that it would blow us away with monterous low end and shake the floor like an avalanch, but surprise surprise. It was sounding a bit weak. I tried tweaking nobs hear and there for about 20 min. until I found this one nob called "contour". It seemed to make a big difference in how the low end warmed up and how you could then feel the rumble of the bass fill the room.

I guess what I was concerned about is how the thing didn't automatically blow me away with low end rumble in such a small room. The ceilings in this place are all accouistic panals and carpet is throughout. There is plush furniture and no room for any sound waves to bounce around or echo back and forth. This room is perfect for bass.

I enjoyed playing through it once I got it set up right but I just hope its enough for the stage. Other then that I am happy and now need to sell my Peavey MArk VIII.

ReplyQuote
(@rollnrock89)
Reputable Member

Well If it doesn't work out, and you feel you need more power, couldn't you return it?

The first time I heard a Beatles song was "Let It Be." Some little kid was singing along with it: "Let it pee, let it pee" and pretending he was taking a leak. Hey, that's what happened, OK?-some guy

ReplyQuote
(@doudouggin)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Sure, I can return it, but hopefully I wont need to though. I am somewhat satisfied but I think that I am just used to playing out of a full stack and the 410hlf by itself is just not giving out the full presence that I am used to. Thats why I will probably just sell the Peavey and keep the B2 combo atop of the 410 for that added 15" woofer and meat. All in all in the small places I play now I can get a lot better sound running the GK and the 410hlf. It has the dbs needed and the sound variation I need.

ReplyQuote
(@doudouggin)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

The GK 1001RB II is amazing you guys! I set it up with the 410HLF by itself and after playing out of it on stage tonight in the big chappel I couldn't believe how well it responded to the large room. It made me feel like I was using the full stack. This thing had room to go also. I had the bass levels set at about 6 and the contour set at 6 also. The gain was set at approximately 4 and my Guitar's gain was around 3 or 4. I am completely satisfied and for anyone looking for an amazing Head for a great price then I would suggest this one for sure.

It only weighs in at 18 pounds and can be carried like a brief case espeacially if you mount it in a road ready case with handles. This is like a dream come true. Easy finance at Guitar Center and easy loading and unloading also. I hurt my back though while loading the 410 hlf. I guess you CANT get rid of all the weight.

ReplyQuote
(@4ropebottom)

The Ampeg: Warm, full, round, smooth
The GK: bright, present, punchy.

Which do you like?

For small gigs, I'd use the Ampeg right into one of the SVT bottoms.

ReplyQuote