Clear all

Gallien-Krueger?

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@metallifan)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

It may come as no surprise to some of you that I want a new bass amp, so what are your opinions of Gallien-Krueger heads into cabs of any make?

Cheers

This is my rifle, this is my gun; this is for fighting, this is for fun!

(@danlasley)
Noble Member

G-Ks are very good, as are SWR, but I think they're both a bit expensive. I've been using my Peavey for a long time and I like it.

-Laz

ReplyQuote
(@kc13088)
Trusted Member

I have a GK, and I like it but it isn't perfect. First off, it tends to distort earlier than other amps I've played into, and it tends to sound a little boomy unless you roll off the low end a little. However, mine is a Backline 115 combo, so a separate head into a 4x12 or something like that would probably produce different results. As far as quality, the GK can't be beat. I would describe it as "practically indestructible."

ReplyQuote
(@metallifan)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I was thinking of a 700RB-ii head from the Artist series?

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

I have an old G-K 50 watt guitar head -- yeah, they actually used to make those, and it looks just like little G-K bass head. It has spent the last twenty years in manic-depressive mode: spates of being hauled around and treated badly seperated by longer periods of waiting in a hot/cold attic. Yet it has alway worked flawlessly when called upon. I'd call it durable and reliable. For guitar, I consider the tone a bit too neutral, but that has little to do with your bass requirements.

-Greg

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@hbriem)
Honorable Member

I have an old beat-up GK 800RB. I bought it second-hand. It was very scratched and beat up, but it's built like a tank and will take anything. It also sounds as good as anything I've ever played through. I'd buy another anytime.

--
Helgi Briem
hbriem AT gmail DOT com

ReplyQuote
(@metallifan)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Tried out a Gallien-Krueger 700rb into Ashdown ABM compacts, 2x10 with tweeter and a 1x15.

I have to say I was very impressed with the sound! The way you can shape the wave and get great distortion - think its second harmonic distortion or so I was told.

And the distortion only goes through the speakers and not the tweeter! So it keeps the highs crisp and the lows rumbling!

Just need the cash now

:D

ReplyQuote