Clear all

gibson bass

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@cerberus)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

you can generally assume that a gibson guitar is going to be a quality instrument, but can the same be said of a gibson bass?

I pity the fool, but also suggest ways he might better himself.

(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

For what it's worth, our bassist plays a Gibson and it has a good tone. I think their reputation is also good for basses, but you'll know best by taking some for a test drive.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@tucker)
Estimable Member

Gibson basses can be somewhat hit and miss - the SG models are usually very, very easy to maneuvre but the Ripper models can be more trouble than they're worth. Test it out, see how it feels, and if it's a glued neck then check for cracks at the joint, a common complaint in Gibson basses.

ReplyQuote
(@cerberus)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

well the thing is that its an ebay purchase, and im a lefty so ill have to get it restrung. So trying out is out of the question.

I'm looking at these 2 (as far as gibsons)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7399437306&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7399778229&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

I pity the fool, but also suggest ways he might better himself.

ReplyQuote
(@thedonutman)
Eminent Member

gibsons basses are hugely overpriced for the money, even if you live in the USA.

ive played a thunderbird before, and i actually think the epiphone one had a better finish and sounded less muddy

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Gibson's not, in my opinion, known for their basses - as far as mainstream players preferring them - except for the EB-0 because of Jack Bruce and...the EB-3 I think.

But I'd get an EB-0 type just *because* it's got that thumpy, Brucey type of sound. I like shortscales too.

Of course, the Thunderbird, even though they're noted for being neck-heavy, is another Gibby I wouldn't mind having. That one would have to be factory lefty though; the EB-0 I could just switch around.

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

The thing I like about Gibson basses is that they are not Fenders. They are not mainstream. Every body and their brothers' bass player has a P-bass or Jazz bass or some similar derivation. That is what attracted me to the el-cheapo Silvertone Apocolypse I now have and the Eastwood Rocket that is on it's way, they are just a little different.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote