Notifications
Clear all

Guitar technique vs. Bass technique

24 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

I've got one of the Essex 5s. It's really pretty nice. Tweaked it a bit but the neck was dead-flat to begin with.

Here's some fives from Rondo:

http://www.rondomusic.net/bassguitars5.html

Pretty good prices and pretty well made. There's even a 'megathread' about Essex and SX basses over at TalkBass.com.

Might be worth checking out.

This is really a cool thread, isn't it?

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

Dominique's bass is a five string tuned EADGC -- I wouldn't call it a baritone, since it just adds a high C.

I don't think most 5 strings are much more expensive than fours. I've even seen six-bangers for around $300 (US).

ReplyQuote
(@illicit)
Estimable Member

Yeah, the Brice 6-strings can go for like 150-200$ used and are, despite the price, very well-rounded instruments and impressively well built. One of the few cases where you get a lot more than you pay for.

5-stringers shouldn't be that much more expensive at all, there's plenty of five-stringers with an impressive bang to buck ratio.

Now if I could only get my hands on a sixstring fretless in Denmark, I would have as serious fit of GAS.

Behold! The great northern viking's pinnacle of evolution! Behold my wavy blonde locks, my icy blue eyes and my muscular physique! Behold my.. screw this, I'm going to McDonald's.

ReplyQuote
(@7stringmofo)

Good bass technique and good classical technique are pretty much the same. Bassists don't usually use the thumb or ring finger, and use mostly rest strokes. You spot the guitarists by what they play, not how they do it.

EDIT: Oh, and bassists play with their fingertips rather than their nails.

Who told you that? I use my ring finger on both hands.

As far as technique. I was told by my teacher to also make sure every note is defined (like guitar) except making sure to put the percussive emphasis on each note so if I am going to play 32nds, I better hit each note due to the fact that Bass is supposed to provide percussiveness. This isn't like guitar where you get away with hammer ons and pull offs for general riffs. Takes strength training and discipline. I am trying to get my slap technique together as I have mostly played funk and groove from normal finger technique. I just think that there is an easier way than to try and emulate Wooten....I mean, he didn't get there overnight.

ReplyQuote
(@illicit)
Estimable Member

Good bass technique and good classical technique are pretty much the same. Bassists don't usually use the thumb or ring finger, and use mostly rest strokes. You spot the guitarists by what they play, not how they do it.

EDIT: Oh, and bassists play with their fingertips rather than their nails.

As far as technique. I was told by my teacher to also make sure every note is defined (like guitar) except making sure to put the percussive emphasis on each note so if I am going to play 32nds, I better hit each note due to the fact that Bass is supposed to provide percussiveness. This isn't like guitar where you get away with hammer ons and pull offs for general riffs. Takes strength training and discipline. I am trying to get my slap technique together as I have mostly played funk and groove from normal finger technique. I just think that there is an easier way than to try and emulate Wooten....I mean, he didn't get there overnight.

Not to say that you can't hammer-on or pull-off in a general riff while still maintaining the general rythm. I also use my ring finger and for fast runs, occasionally my pinky and definetly my thumb, so.. meh.

Behold! The great northern viking's pinnacle of evolution! Behold my wavy blonde locks, my icy blue eyes and my muscular physique! Behold my.. screw this, I'm going to McDonald's.

ReplyQuote
(@7stringmofo)

I am always 4 wide as far as my position goes. I am being taught out of the Simandl book and even though it is pertaining to the Upright Double Bass, my teacher found relevance in utilizing it for its positions primarily. Even though you don't use your ring finger in the lower positions on the DB, your hand makes the adjustment on the electric unconsciously. Pull offs are cool. But during a song where you are playing a rythym it is important to maintain the percussiveness for the pulses sake. All of my fingers are ready for attack at all times.

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

For a 5 string for 400-500 Canadian, you might try a Peavey. It's Korean made, but I have one of their 4 stringers that is pretty good for the beginner. Also, try rondomusic.net. All of their basses are cheap and Asian made. Some of them have pretty good reviews on harmonycentral.com. JMO

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@illicit)
Estimable Member

For a 5 string for 400-500 Canadian, you might try a Peavey. It's Korean made, but I have one of their 4 stringers that is pretty good for the beginner. Also, try rondomusic.net. All of their basses are cheap and Asian made. Some of them have pretty good reviews on harmonycentral.com. JMO

But with brands such as Peavey and especially Squier, it's hit-or-miss as to if you get a durable or even playable one, so definetly test it out first and see if it feels right.

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

Bassists don't usually use the thumb or ring finger, and use mostly rest strokes.
No one told me; it's an observation I made all on my own. There's nothing wrong with using fingers other than the index and ring, and I'm glad you've seen fit to adopt a more powerful technique, but most bassists stick to two fingers. I'm not saying it's a rule, just that it's the de facto standard. Feel free to add all the fingers and thumbs you like.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2