Clear all

Help! I think I broke my bass

9 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@daria)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I was putting new strings on and I guess I tightened the G string too much.The part (I don't know what its called so I'll try to explain it) right under the headstock with the grooves the strings fit into snapped and a chunk of it flew off. Can that be fixed? If so can anyone estimate about how much it will cost? I can't afford a new bass so I hope I can fix it. :'(

"Dream as though you will live forever; live as though you will die today." ~James Dean

(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Hi Daria;

No worries.  The piece you broke is called the "nut", and it is fairly inexpensive to replace ($15-25).  And while you're at it, you could get a set up to see why it broke in the first place.

Go to this lesson to learn the names of all the parts of your bass.   https://www.guitarnoise.com/bass/20010708.php

Good Luck!

-Laz

ReplyQuote
(@daria)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Laz,
Thanks so much! Now I can stop panicking.

"Dream as though you will live forever; live as though you will die today." ~James Dean

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

That is rather bizarre.  Think of the amount of pressure you'd have to exert (by way overwinding the string--maybe an octave or two) to split that.  You generally would not wind it up that hard because you'd know the strings is too tight.  Sounds like a freak thing..

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

Yeah, it must have been weak already.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

LoL I think corbind called you a freak Daria. ;)

ReplyQuote
(@daria)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

LoL I think corbind called you a freak Daria. ;)

drats! you figured me out! oh well. i really don't know what caused it to break i was really careful while tunning it. maybe my bass is just cheap.

ReplyQuote
(@shauny)

damn i just bought my new guitar i hope mine dont fall to bits like this  ??? :'(

ReplyQuote
(@kendale)

Hi Daria;

No worries.  The piece you broke is called the "nut", and it is fairly inexpensive to replace ($15-25).  And while you're at it, you could get a set up to see why it broke in the first place.

Go to this lesson to learn the names of all the parts of your bass.   https://www.guitarnoise.com/bass/20010708.php

Good Luck!

-Laz

this guitarnoise.com website is very helpful :)

ReplyQuote