Notifications
Clear all

help

13 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@blacksilver)
Topic starter  

a friend gave me a right-handed bass, and since i`m left-handed i wanna know  if i can invert the order of the bass strings without affecting tha bass sound,hope you can help me ,thanks 8)

(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

If you're just starting to play, I recommend playing the righty as it is.  As long as there are no entrenched lefty habits, it should be just as easy (or hard) to learn to play, no matter which way the neck is pointing.  Fretting is new to both hands, and so is plucking, so there's much learning to do on both sides.  While you could get it set up that way, the nut would need replacing (the slot sizes would be wrong if the string order were reversed), you would constantly turn the knobs with your forearm, and you would get used to playing lefty and have a little trouble finding a new bass when that time came.  Also, a P-bass pickup might sound odd.  I don't recommend swapping it.  If you want to play lefty, save up and get a lefty bass, but be aware that it might be inconvenient later.

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

If you prefer lefty, I suggest going to the local music stores and see if they have any lefties for sale.  Most bigger stores will.  You can usually trade in, so trading the righty for a lefty is an option.  If they don't have a lefty, they can most likely order one and you can use the trade in as a down payment if they need one.  

I'm a righty, but the lefties will probably agree and will no doubt offer some other great advice.  IMO, you have found a great forum with lots of really nice and cool people.  You will learn a lot here.  Good luck!

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@hbriem)
Honorable Member

I disagree with Paul.

A lot of people have done this (learn to play instruments the wrong way round) and come to regret it.

To a beginner, the fret hand does the complex work, so why not use the stronger hand for that?

This is wrong.

At advanced levels, the hard parts are in the picking (plucking, slapping) hand and you need to use your better hand for that.

It is not easy to alter a right-handed bass.   Better just trade it in for a lefty.

--
Helgi Briem
hbriem AT gmail DOT com

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

I'm a little confused.  Where do you disagree with me?  Are you suggesting that he get a lefty bass instead of keeping the righty?  What do you mean by "the wrong way round."  Is that the way that goes against their hand dominance, or is that the way where the instrument is flipped over?

Based on my experiences (and no one should put too much weight on those)  playing basses the opposite way I'm used to is just an unusual new feeling, and has not so much to do with hand dominance.  But, if I understand you right, you think people should match up the plucking with their dominant hand.

Am I understanding you right?

Someone should study whether playing instruments like the guitar and the bass has much to do with your dominant hand, or whether it's more learned.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

I hate it when righties give lefties advice like "play righty, your strongest hand will be fretting." By that logic, right-handed people would play lefty. It may work for some lefties, but not for others - our friend here might be one of the others (like myself).

OK, there's no reason you couldn't turn this bass into a perfectly adequate left-handed model. If you don't want to change the neck, a nut reversal (swapping the bit of plastic at the top of the neck that the strings go through so it's the other way around) would do the job for lefty stringing. If this sounds like the route for you, you may also want to consider some strong tape to put over the dials so you don't brush them with your arm while playing. This is the ultimate DIY lefty Hendrix look. Also, you may want to put the strap button on the other horn, but if you got a very long strap, you could avoid such a procedure.

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Hmmm, sounds like it's gettin' a little hot in here so I won't stay long.  Problems will be solved eventually no matter which was he plays.  Unfortunately, the events are mutually exclusive meaning if you decide to learn lefty you will have not had the experience learning righty and be able to compare them.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@hbriem)
Honorable Member

I'm sorry Paul, I didn't mean to come across as an argumentative buffoon.  Tone of voice doesn't come across very well.   :)

Anyway, I believe that people should pluck with their dominant hand.  I don't know if there is any research to support this, but I have heard that lefties who learn right-handed tend to regret it later.  Joe Strummer certainly did.  The longer I play, the more I agree that the real skill is in the plucking hand, not the fretting hand.

As for converting basses from right to left, I have no experience either way, but to me it looks klutzy (unless you have a Hohner violin bass  ;) ) , hangs and balances klutzy and (I am told by lefties), feels klutzy, what with knobs, upside down tuning pegs and whatnot.

Nowadays, you pay $5-20 extra for a lefty instrument.  IMHO most people should take advantage of this modern innovation.

YMMV.

--
Helgi Briem
hbriem AT gmail DOT com

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Helgi's on it.  I used to use my brother's lefty bass and turn int upside down.  Way too many times I turned the volume off when moving my arm across the top edge where the controls resided.  It was a serious pain.  Would you want to readjust the volume 15 times an hour?  If you play righty get righty if you play lefty get a lefty.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

Helgi, you didn't come off as argumentative.  I was hoping I wouldn't come off that way.  I was just confused about what you were saying.

ReplyQuote
(@i-forget)

I'm left-handed and I play right-handed. I've tried lefty guitars and found them no easier than righties. For picking, it shouldn't matter which hand is your dominate hand; whichever way you want to learn should work just fine. I mean, you can teach yourself to write with your other hand. My friend did, and you can't tell the difference in her [very neat] writing. Picking should be the same way. I pick just fine with my right hand.

I hope that actually makes sense, and doesn't just go in a circle, getting nowhere.

erin

Never interrupt your enemy when he's making a mistake.

A clear conscience is usually a sign of bad memory.

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

Unless You're a small child who would risk mixed brain dominance, then I doubt it make smuch difference in the long run.  You can always build muscle and learn coordination.

ReplyQuote
(@cluemein)
Eminent Member

;DI'm left handed too . i play the guitar and starting on the bass righted. when i wanted to learn my cousin's would'nt let me change the strings, they said you'll thank me. and they were right. THANKS GUYS. now, i don't have to pay more or worry about left handed things.it did seem harded, but, as i say . it was well worth it.

ReplyQuote