Clear all

High Action on a bass

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@sidsewell)
Topic starter  

Hi,

I've been playing Lead Guitar and 6 string acoustic for more years than I can remember, but recently I decided to learn to play bass as well, I bought a cheap Washburn bass, but I notice that the action is very high, is this normal, I'm used to playing a strat and an Ibanez Prestige that have been professionally set up with low action, do I need to get this bass set up as well or is the high action something I have to get used to ?

Rgds/Sid

(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

You can probably go lower. The action on my fretless is lower than the action on my guitar. I don't think you can go quite so low with frets, but maybe you could. Regardless, you should get it looked at if it's too high for you.

ReplyQuote
(@sidsewell)
Topic starter  

Thanks Paul, That's what exactly what I wanted to hear :D
I'll get it sorted soon as.

Rgds/Sid

ReplyQuote
(@kc13088)
Trusted Member

To be a little more specific, what measurements would you consider to be "low" from the nut and/or twelfth fret?

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

I can't help with a fretted bass, but my fretless has the G at fingerboard height at the nut, and the E at a little under a sixteenth of an inch. All are at an eighth of an inch at the other end of the neck. A little less at the twelvth, of course.

ReplyQuote