Clear all

Homemade Bass

10 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I just came back from watching a lunchtime show by a local (Winnipeg, MB, CA)band called the D Rangers.
They describe themselves as "Bluegrass Madmen" and it was obvious that they have a lot of fun on stage. And they are all very accompliched musicians. Nice combination to find.

The thing that struck me, though, was the bass player's equipment. It was all homemade.

I took a couple of pictures with my camera/phone (so appologies for the quality)..Here is the band:

Here is a closer look of the bass:

And here is the bass amp:

The band has some MP3s at their web site if you're interested. And more pictures of the "Muckbucket" bass.

Disclaimer: I have no relationship to the band, today was the first time I have seen them play.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member

I heard once about some guy in South Carolina, or somewhere like that who makes basses like that. I played one of his that was an upright bass neck mounted on a washtub. It was truly awesome.

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

I've never seen one like that. Usually the washtub basses (not that 'usually' is a good word, because they're rare) I've seen have been a metal washtub laying face-down, with a notched broom or mop handle on the bottom edge and a thin rope or washline cord from the top of the handle to the middle of the washtub's bottom. You either pull the stick back to get higher notes, or move your hand down the stick. This one's neat because it looks like the handle (neck) doesn't move (much).

The second photo - is that a mic stand pointing down into the back of the thing?

Really cool!! Thanks for the pic. :)

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

That is a Stellar bass.

Kent_eh, if you don't mind me asking, do you like living in Winnipeg? I ask because my sister is spending the summer there with her boyfriend and his family, and I'm curious as to what it's like because I don't often hear much on the city?

Thanks

Paul

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

he second photo - is that a mic stand pointing down into the back of the thing?
It's another stand in the background.
He had a SM58 sitting on a chunk of foam in the back, that's what he used for a pickup. The PA guy had a PZM sitting beside the '58 to feed the mains.

According to their web site, the idea (if not the actual plans) came from a 1963 advertisement in a comic book.

Judgeing by the pictures they have on their web site, he's replaced the "muckbucket" at least a couple of times.

Off He Goes
Kent_eh, if you don't mind me asking, do you like living in Winnipeg? I ask because my sister is spending the summer there with her boyfriend and his family, and I'm curious as to what it's like because I don't often hear much on the city?

Yeah, I do. I've lived here since '97

It's a good place to live. Lots of music everywhere. (ya gotta do something indoors during those long winters! )

Send me a PM if you wanna chat.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

dude thats awesome

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Skiffle music in Britain (a major influence on four young lads from Liverpool) used homemade "tea chest" basses. I wonder if they were similar to what's in your photo. (I have really no idea what a tea chest is, so it's pure speculation on my part!)

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

Off He Goes

Yeah, I do. I've lived here since '97

It's a good place to live. Lots of music everywhere. (ya gotta do something indoors during those long winters! )

Send me a PM if you wanna chat.

Thats cool, I just wanted to make sure there was a music scene there for her. She lives in St. John's now, and George Street has a great music scene.

I know all about those winter months too, it was warm and sunny here for a week after what we all thought was Shelia's brush, and now its winter again. Snow everyday, big winds, its sucks.

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Musenfreund said:

Skiffle music in Britain (a major influence on four young lads from Liverpool) used homemade "tea chest" basses. I wonder if they were similar to what's in your photo. (I have really no idea what a tea chest is, so it's pure speculation on my part!)

A tea-chest was actually a largish wooden crate - used for shipping tea, as the name implies. They were made of a light wood (balsa?) and the bass was made by putting a broom-handle in the chest, with a piece of string attached. The notes were changed by moving the broom-handle backwards and forwards, thus changing the tension of the string.

I think I've got a pic of one somewhere - I'll try and find it!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Here's a YouTube vid of one.

Another favourite of skiffle groups was the washboard, played with thimbles on the fingers.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote