Clear all

Hurts to press the strings

11 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@herecomesironman)
Topic starter  

Hey all.

I'm starting out on a Fender P-bass 4 string that I've borrowed from a friend for a while until I get some more cash to buy my own. The difficulty right now is that it seems that I have to press down on the strings really hard to make them not buzz when I strum, and my poor fingers get sore after just a few minutes.

I'm at least aiming to press down in the middle of the frets each time. It's harder on the E and A strings, mostly because they're larger.

Any ideas?

Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

When did you start to play bass? Did you play guitar before? If you started now, it is normal, your fingers need to get used the strings and also the bass. You will develop some nice calluses and all will become easier.

ReplyQuote
(@gabba-gabba-hey)
Reputable Member

Nuno is correct, it will get easier over time. Something you can do in the meantime is lower the "action", which is basically the height of the strings over the frets. As it's your friend's bass you may not want to make adjustments, but when you buy your own be sure to have it "set up" by the shop at which you buy it.

ReplyQuote
(@stargazer)
Eminent Member

One thing I've heard is that if you have 'soft' fingertips you can harden them quicker by regularly soaking them in vinegar. I can't say I've tried it myself - I don't need to. Others here may have a view on whether this is wise advice or an old wive's tale!

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Absolutely, it's normal! And bass strings, being fatter, cause a bit more pain in the beginning than do thinner guitar strings. The only way to make it stop is to keep playing through the pain until the calluses build up. Then, every once in a while, one or two of those calluses will come off and you'll have to play through the pain again until you finally build calluses so deep that they don't fall off anymore. It's a normal process, every strings player goes through it to one degree or another.

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

You'll just have to build up your fingertips. You could try different strings as well, although that can be an expensive test. I used to buy all kinds of different guitar strings to find the ones I wanted cause they were $5 a pack. A little harder to do that with bass strings (last set was $35). I just put D'Addario XL Chromes (flatwounds) on mine and they feel like little strands of clouds.

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote
(@herecomesironman)
Topic starter  

I have read about the differences between the flat and round strings, so I may end up keeping flats on my future guitar.

Anyway, I wanted to check that it was in fact something to expect. Although, on a tangent, I have noticed the last couple days that my left index finger has this odd tingling feeling on the very edge of the bone/skin whenever I push down on something (including a string). It actually feels a little similar to the tingling you get when a body part has "fallen asleep" from being sat on. Anyone know about this?

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

I'm not a doctor (although, I have played one on TV), but I remember that feeling when I first started playing guitar and it seemed like it happened right before I started building up the calluses on my fingertips.

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote
(@huffheinz)

I'm at least aiming to press down in the middle of the frets each time.
I'm not sure if I'm reading your post correctly, but you should not be pressing in the middle of the frets. You should be pressing right up next to the fret. It will require the least amount of pressure to prevent the rattle.

And don't worry about the dead or sleepy feeling in your fingers, it's normal. Pretty soon you'll be able to flip bacon without tongs. :wink:

- Huffheinz

ReplyQuote
(@xylembassguitar)
Trusted Member

I'm not sure if I'm reading your post correctly, but you should not be pressing in the middle of the frets. You should be pressing right up next to the fret. It will require the least amount of pressure to prevent the rattle.

And don't worry about the dead or sleepy feeling in your fingers, it's normal. Pretty soon you'll be able to flip bacon without tongs. :wink:

+1, especially about pressing right behind the fret instead of right in the middle of the fret intervals. I have experienced the "sleeping" fingers before too... but if they are like that for an extended period of time, you might want to watch out for permanent nerve damage.

I would also recommend that you get a ruler with 1/32" increments and measure how high the bottoms of the E and G strings are from the top of the 12th fret. More than about 1/8" is pretty high action (though "high action" is a very relative term). If the action is that high on your friend's bass, you should be able to expect somewhat lower action on the bass that you purchase, especially if it is set up by an accomplished tech or luthier.

If you really want to build your calluses fast and deep (deeper than the bass will be able to wear away or tear through) start rock climbing outside (gym climbing will help, but not like real rock). I had been a climber for several years before I started playing bass and I didn't have to go through the "my fingers hurt" stage, thanks to all the callus-building from the granite, sandstone, limestone etc. Be warned though, do your bass playing before you go climbing, your fingers will be pretty sore and less responsive after the climb (and watch out for "flappers"). Also, your fingers may be quite raw during the first couple of week climbing depending on how much you go.

Xylem Handmade Basses and Guitars

ReplyQuote
(@shake-your-bottom)

Also use more than one finger per note. For example, if you are playing four notes chromatically up the neck, use the index finger on the first fret. Use the index finger and the middle finger on the second fret. Use the index finger, the middle finger and the ring finger on the third fret. And finally use all four fingers on the fourth fret.

This will give you more strength to hold the strings down and will also dampen unwanted fret noise. Do what the others have suggested and put your last finger right up against the fret.

Watch how other bassists play. You will see them finger the strings different than guitarists. Guitar players push the strings down with their finger tips and bass players tend to hold the strings down with more of their finger (hard to explain, easy to see).

Bass Guitar String

ReplyQuote