Skip to content
I braved Black Frid...

Notifications
Clear all

I braved Black Friday to buy a new bass!

6 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@poppaduck)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

It's a Michael Kelly, 4 string, fretless, acoustic, Dragon Fly model - translucent black is what I think they call the color.

I saw it earlier in the week at Guitar Center and fell in love with it - sounded real sweet (both plugged and unplugged) and looked great. It was on sale, but the price was a bit steep (or so I thought).

Went home to research it, liked the reviews and even discovered that I couldn't touch it for that price online (Musicians Friend, etc). Then I went through the old piles of mail to see if there were any discount cards from GC. Found one for 20% off but only from 8 - 10 am Friday. The dreaded Black Friday!

I started thinking should I go back and get it now or take my chances knowing I'd pay more online. I said to myself, "self what are the odds that someone is going to walk in looking for a fretless acoustic bass between now and Friday?". I left it to the universe to decide.

I woke up naturally Friday morning and made it to the store right after they opened. Went straight to the acoustic section and there she was waiting for me. Picked her up, looked her over and played her to make sure all was well. Then I spent 45 minutes in line waiting to pay for her (although I did have a few nice conversations with my fellow shoppers while waiting). When I checked out the clerk punched in the discounts and said I made a fantastic deal - the bass was costing me less than half it's listed retail price. Add in a hardshell case and tax, and it still came to less than the sale price two days before...

Took her home and have been happily playing since - it's true what they say - once you go fretless you never go back.

PS - since then I've gotten several really good compliments from friends on it and my wife was so excited she had me show it to her duo-mate when he came over to practice. He even suggested that we should play as a trio sometime in the future. Surprised me that she asked me to show it to him, but that's another story for another time.

-PD

(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Hey congrats! Those are nice looking basses. 8)

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

Wow! Congrats, those look gorgeous.
:)

Don

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Fretless is Fun!

https://www.guitarnoise.com/article.php?id=170

ReplyQuote
(@jmb-d)
Estimable Member

Congrats, Poppaduck -- use it in good health!

I was so impressed by a Michael Kelly a/e that I played at hodge's back in 2004 that i ended up buying one last year.

Mine's a 4-string Dragonfly, natural finish, fretted (I'm not yet licensed for fretless play :wink: ) that I found on eBay. Came with an MK hardcase, all for the popular (well, I liked it) price of $425.

Now if only I could make time to play it... :roll:

In walking, just walk. In sitting, just sit. Above all, don't wobble.
-- Yun-Men

ReplyQuote
(@cavernplayer)

Wow, congrats on a great bass! :D

cp

ReplyQuote