Clear all

I don't know

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Hi guys I have been learning to play the guitar for about 2 years not quite 2 years but close enough ..

To play bass do I need to be able to play , rhythmn guitar ?

I know this sounds like a bit of a silly question but honestly I have no idea and I have never even picked up a bass guitar , but I am thinking about it ...learning it I mean ..

Hilch :?:

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

No.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

To expand on Tim's answer a slight bit - No, but knowing rhythm is very important. A good bass player is as essential to a band as a good drummer and the emphasis is more on rhythm than on the number of notes one plays.

Playing bass is fun and falls into one of those "easy to get started, challenging to get good and impossible to put the instrument down" categories. Many rhythm guitarists pick up the bass and it often improves their rhythm playing, usually by driving home the point that you don't have to strum a lot to have good rhythm. Usually sparse patterns are much more interesting and fun to play than constant eighth or sixteenth notes.

Hope this helps and definitely give it a whirl! You can even start by simply playing bass parts on your current guitar (obviously using just the four low strings).

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

Another positive I have found - With a good bass amp and a guitar with decent pickups, you can get a really awesome clean tone. I play a strat copy thru my Ashdown 180 bass watt amp and it is great.

One downside - when you have a G.A.S. attack, you might just end up being in double trouble. I have bought two new basses in the last month. Oh, well, that's why I work my behind off at work, so I can afford to have G.A.S.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the answers people ..

and yes David you did help me .. I might just try a little bass on my Electric and record it then try to play rhythmn over the top ...

One never knows I might be able to pull this off ... :oops:

Cheers and thanks

Hilch :?:

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

ReplyQuote