Ibanez AFB200

9 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I don't need a new bass, I don't need a new bass...

Well, I was playing one of these babies this morning: Ibanez AFB200. I wanted to check the 'acoustic feeling'. I like it. It is very playable (the body is not too big for an acoustic, it is a short scale) and it sounded good.

After a couple of minutes I saw the bass was a fretless! And then I put a lot of attention. Really funny and very good unplugged sound in the higher frets. I also played it with an amp (very similar to my amp) and... fortunately I didn't like the tone... but that fretless feeling...

(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

That's very nice! I go with the theory that if I want something really bad, that means I need it.

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

fortunately I didn't like the tone...

Why not?

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

fortunately I didn't like the tone...
Why not?
Perhaps it sounds very similar to a solid body. Definitely the tone is different when it is played unplugged.

I was playing through a Marshall MB60 (I have a MB30). These amps have two channels (modern/clean and classic/overdriven). I played in both channels but only in the position '#1' for the mids (it sounds very deep). Although I have that amp I don't like so much the tone. It is possible the amp also contributed. I also played a Epi Viola (or Beatle) and a Fender Tony Franklin and they didn't sound well (the Epi Ok, but the Tony Franklin is considered one of the better basses, 1700€).

Or perhaps the humbuckers. But they didn't seem too hot pickups. I always prefer the single-coils.

However, the neck and the general playability are pretty good. And that 'fretless feeling' and tone was really good.

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Interesting. I bet it had roundwound strings ... I read that's how they ship from the factory. Those are the wrong strings for that bass, imho. Okay for the semi-hollow fretted version, but not the fretless. I'd put tape-wounds on it, for more of that thumpy upright sound. Big fat LaBella or Rotosound tapes. Would sound like a totally different bass. 8)

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Yes, it had roundwound strings. I don't have too many experience with strings but I agree, they aren't the better strings for that bass!

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I was playing it again. I was in store this morning and I asked if I could play it. I had the same feelings. I was modifying the controls in the amp and choosing several pickups configurations... That isn't my bass.

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

That isn't my bass.

Good you figured that out now before buying!

Take a look at the Eastwood Classic 4 if you can find one. It's fretted but sounds like a very nice semi-hollow bass. Looks very Gretsch-y too.

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Thank you Mitch!

It is not easy to see Eastwood here but I know that bass, I watched a review on YouTube and certainly it seems very nice.

ReplyQuote