Skip to content
I'm a sax player bu...

Notifications
Clear all

I'm a sax player but I wanna be a bass player.

8 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@bobdotcom)
Topic starter  

Hi
Many moons ago, 40 years worth of moons to be exact, I played bass (tea chest and then electric) in a band with a few rock n roll-loving schoolmates.
Then I learned to play the sax (tenor and alto) and forgot about the bass.
But now I have an overwhelming urge to play bass again (I know, I'm kinda sad!)
But there's been a lot of innovations in 40 years and I have lost the plot as far as which bass to renew my interest with.
I'd love a Steinberger cos I just like the idea and shape, I've seen a secondhand Washburn I like the feel of, but the truth is, I'm a total novice (ok, I know which way to hold the thing) and I have no desire to spend a lot of hard-earned cash on a guitar that leaves me out in the cold.
Any suggestions (as long as they are relatively clean) gratefully received.
Thanks
BTW I'm in Wales, UK.

(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

Squiers can be good; I have one, and it's plenty adequate for my needs. Since they're budget instruments, it's good practice to play your potential bass first to see how it is. They can vary in quality.

ReplyQuote
(@chalmodo)

i'd say if your starting off again, two options.

if you wanna learn again, pick up the basics from a tutor, he'll let you use his bass til you get your own, and he'll even be able to give you advise on types of bass to buy.

secondly

go to a music shop (one preferably that sell bass guitars) and try out a bunch of different makes.
Yamaha have a verry nice range at the moment, listen to them all, see how they feel and work for you.

some may sound a little brassy, some a little too mellow, others may just fit you right, have a play, dont be scared to ask questions, make sure you get your moenys worth and DONT be fooled into any special offers,
ie, store managers going, if you buy this bass, i'll sell you this amp for £15 or whatever.

not worth it in my oppinion,

Buy the bass you like, then buy a decend sized amp for it, for a guitar, i'd say about 30 watts, for a bass... i have no idea.

Good luck and rock on! :D

Chalmodo

all you need is to be human to be able to rock.
just dont be sad if some of us are more human than others.

ReplyQuote
(@bobdotcom)
Topic starter  

Thanks to Paul and Chalmodo for their prompt and interesting replies. Any further suggestions are welcome. I'll give Squier a trier and keep the Washburn on the back burner. Would still like the Steinberger tho. Any thoughts on whether it's the sort you progress to rather than one you start with?
Anyway, thanks again guys and be sure I will keep on rockin' :D

ReplyQuote
(@hbriem)
Honorable Member

If you like Steinbergers, they are fine instruments.

They are around $300 at
Musicyo.com.

Seem to get decent reviews too.

--
Helgi Briem
hbriem AT gmail DOT com

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

I've played a lot of different basses at different shoppes and the Rockbass series by Warwick is a nice cheaper bass. It is not the cheapest. It is good quality stuff. Also, I like my Peavey Fury IV. Peavey is pretty decent for the money. I'll probably get a five string Rockbass for my next bass. Really, do not get the cheapest. You would not buy the cheapest Sax, would you? Look at the range of saxes you know and the quality range and cost range. Try and compare that to buying a bass. You can find bargains, but you DO get what you pay for. You don't neccesarily need the "best" to make good music, though.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

If I were you BobDotCom, I'd get the Steiny just for the simple reason that it excites my interest. It's the first one you mentioned and by the way you spoke of it, it's pretty obvious that it's the one for you.

The other suggestions about Squier and Washburn and all, plus the idea of heading down to a music shop are all good too, but the Steinberger seems like it would be the one. I mean when it comes down to it, you have to be in love with your instrument first, and then everything else sorta falls into place.

Good suggestion about having a few brushup (or starting) lessons from a teacher, but first get the bass you love and just have fun with it, you know?

30 watt bass amp should be cool to practice with -- or maybe one of those Behringer (sp?) bass modelers.

Hey, and welcome to the board!

ReplyQuote
(@bobdotcom)
Topic starter  

Thanks for the responses guys, I guess a Steiny looks like it's in the lead at the moment.
Thanks also for the welcome - much appreciated.
In the words of Arnie, I'll be back :)

ReplyQuote