Notifications
Clear all

Just bought a fretless, but... Need help

8 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@baconcheese)
Topic starter  

Mine looks kinda dodgy. The guy sold it to me for $400, but I couldn't identify the model anywhere. There's a signature that looks like it can either be Marcus Miller or Marcus Dimber (which looks faded... and marker-ish), depending on how good you feel that day - but the only Marcus Miller model I could find is... yknow, the usual one. Can anyone identify this particular fender model?

Sorry for the bad quality of my iphone camera. According to the guy, he'd done some modification to it, but I'm not sure to what extent except for replacing the pick up. Pardon the suspicion, but I absolutely must know if I wasn't ripped of my precious $400 :)

On a side note, today was my first voyage to the fretless with this bass. And let me just say that I am completely hooked. Loving the uber low action, the smooth slides, the... I could go on and on :D On tips on a beginner with a fretless? I've succeeded in playing the songs I know with the correct tone, but I'm not sure how I should treat playing it as compared to my fretted one.

(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Have you had a chance to check out Laz's article Fretless and Free?

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@gabba-gabba-hey)
Reputable Member

Based on the serial # on your headstock, the neck could be from 1993 or 1994, USA-made. It's possible it could also be a Japanese neck, but you've got 7 digits after the "N" and the Japanese ones had 6.

http://www.fender.com/support/usa_instruments.php
http://www.fender.com/support/japanese_instruments.php

More important, Fender did not introduce the Marcus Miller Jazz Bass until 1998. So, it's definitely not a Marcus Miller. Also the headstock signature looks nothing like that on a real one, except for the big swirls. My guess is someone with a name "close enough" decided to personalize it.

Hard to say about the body; controls are not in the right place for a Fender jazz ... and of course a Fender would more than likely have been routed for the standard J pickups, and yours is totally different shape. Possible they had a different non-standard model back then, but I don't know for sure.

Send the pictures to Fender customer service; they are usually very helpful. I needed parts for a (Fender-owned) SWR bass amp and they sent them to me right away.

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Looks like an Ashbory, see if it measures up to these specs. Hard to find, not many sold. They were compact, manoeverable and active. They never had the real shape of a Jazz bass but they were still cool and easy to play. Except they weren't that popular or valuable. Still a good product.

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Electric+Bass/product/Fender/Ashbory+Bass/10/1

However, it is possible that somebody added a Marcus Miller signature or replica to the headstock. You actually can see some really similar if not identical signatures on the net. Note how they all have a bullet truss rod, 70's style.

I assume that the earliest real MM basses were MIJ and released in 1998. They would be Japan-serialized, not 1993 or 94 USA which is indicated, as previously mentioned, on your headstock. :cry:

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@baconcheese)
Topic starter  

Have you had a chance to check out Laz's article Fretless and Free?

Yes, I did. That article is more for those who are considering buying, I reckon - but I've googled around and taken to practice with a chromatic tuner. I'll see how that goes.

Gabba: Thanks, I figured as much since sketchy penmanship is as sketchy goes. I've also found this on the back:

Which means that there are... 2 serial numbers. From the back of the headstock it's a 2001 American deluxe, but it's a completely different story with the one printed at the front. Now I'm really confused. I'm quite suspicious that someone just printed out whatever he wanted on the headstock in attempt to sell high. Apart from that, it seems that this bass had undergone a massive plastic surgery. The previous owner had painted it black from sunburst, took the pickup near the neck, covered the hole, and changed the pickup near the bridge into a 2-in-1 thing. That is the extent that I've been able to find out as it was used when he bought it, and it might not be the only modification done.

I love its sound and playability - very smooth, my MIM jazz feels oddly...barbaric now - but I abhor sketchiness. So whether this is a cheap fender knockout or an unknown model, I'm determined to find out exactly what it is :evil: (oh fine, I just figured that I might be able to negotiate some cash back if it proves to be even more doubtful than it already is)

ReplyQuote
(@baconcheese)
Topic starter  

Ah, I also noticed that there's a battery compartment on the back. Uh...

But nope, definitely not Ashbory. My bass, no matter how sketchy, ain't that puny :wink: It actually fits my jazz bass hardshell case. Also, I've noticed that it looks like an earlier model of deluxe, but without one knob - which would coincide with the printed DZ serial number on the back - but then again... why 2 SNs?

Mysterious is mysterious indeed.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

maybe the guy put a new neck on it, or cobbled it together from different parts he found.

ReplyQuote
(@130unstopablewatts)
Eminent Member

Frankenbass looks cool though

Its 109 miles to chicago

ReplyQuote