Clear all

Learn guitar first?

11 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@distortion5)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I friend of mine just got a bass and wants to learn to play. He got a teacher and that guy told him to learn guitar as well, at the same time. So he learning guitar chords etc. Do you guys agree that a person should learn guitar before bass or at the same time?

(@danlasley)
Noble Member

We've had this discussion here, but not recently. I even think we wrote an article on it, but I can't find it (damn this place is big!).

Anyway, the synopsis was that the bass was not the best as a first instrument. Piano, guitar, flute, anything that can carry a melody or chord structure was better to play while learning to read music, etc.

However, if it is not your first instrument, then you don't need to learn the guitar before the bass. I learned the bass after the piano, and I still can't play the 6-string guitar.

-Laz

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

I agree, something melodic is probably better for learning the basics. It's just more interesting to learn to read music and play it when you get to play a tune. It never hurts to play more than one instrument.

ReplyQuote
(@woodenfret)
Trusted Member

I'm not sure, you can lead by playing any instrument! Even the bass or drums..

But every intrument requires a different type of playing even if it has some resemblance (clarinett/saxophone, guitar/bass, trumpet/tuba, etc)

Slap & tap it!

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Distortion5: Your friend should have no problem with learning both at the same time. As a bassist, your friend will eventually wind up playing with a guitarist or two, so it's good to have some familiarity with the other person's instrument, especially if song writing and part writing is involved. And a melodic/chordal instrument is always handy when one is trying to work some theory out, or arrange things.

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

Yeah, but I think higher pitched instruments work better for most (but not all!) melodies.

ReplyQuote
(@kc13088)
Trusted Member

I agree that it's definitely not a necessity to learn guitar or some other instrument before bass, but I think it's a good idea. I'm sure we would all probably agree that one of a bassist's most important tools is being able to work with other instruments, and I think there is no better way to understand what a guitarist is doing than to learn to play yourself. Besides, the skills used in guitar and bass are roughly the same, so what you learn on one will help your playing of the other.

ReplyQuote
(@woodenfret)
Trusted Member

Yeah, but I think higher pitched instruments work better for most (but not all!) melodies.

And what about J. Pastorius, Stanley Clarke, M. Miller, V. Wooten, ...?
And for drums: B. Cobham, S. Gadd, D. Chambers, etc?

Well, I agree it's easier with a higher pitched instrument :P

Slap & tap it!

ReplyQuote
(@jmb-d)
Estimable Member

I learned the bass after the piano, and I still can't play the 6-string guitar.

Sure you can, Dan -- just ignore those top 2 strings. 8)

I have occasionally picked up one of Lee's guitars, either to tune or just noodle around on, doing my normal bass things on it. Ignoring those extra 2 strings (I must be a mutant -- I have only 4 fingers (not counting the thumb) on my left hand, so what good are 6 strings?) I still can't get past how close the strings are to each other, and let's just Not Go There in re the fret spacing.

In walking, just walk. In sitting, just sit. Above all, don't wobble.
-- Yun-Men

ReplyQuote
(@woodenfret)
Trusted Member

I learned the bass after the piano, and I still can't play the 6-string guitar.

Sure you can, Dan -- just ignore those top 2 strings. 8)

I have occasionally picked up one of Lee's guitars, either to tune or just noodle around on, doing my normal bass things on it. Ignoring those extra 2 strings (I must be a mutant -- I have only 4 fingers (not counting the thumb) on my left hand, so what good are 6 strings?) I still can't get past how close the strings are to each other, and let's just Not Go There in re the fret spacing.

Well.. I believe that the piano requires an extra-mutant player. :evil:

Slap & tap it!

ReplyQuote
(@jmb-d)
Estimable Member

Well.. I believe that the piano requires an extra-mutant player. :evil:

*hehe*

You're right, woodenfret. That beats my hammer dulcimer by a long shot!

At least with the dulcimer, you're striking the strings with the hammers, and can only hit (at most) two strings at once (using a flam or glancing blow, and that only where the strings from the bass bridge meet those from the right-hand side of the treble bridge).

In walking, just walk. In sitting, just sit. Above all, don't wobble.
-- Yun-Men

ReplyQuote