Notifications
Clear all

minor arpeggios and minor sevenths

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@erinjackson)
Topic starter  

Could anyone help me understand why the suggested fingering pattern is different for minor arpeggios than it is for minor sevenths in "Complete Idiot's Guide To Bass Playing?" For the arpeggios it is suggested in G:
-----------------
------------5--
-----3---6-----

and for minor sevenths it is suggested in C:
-----1----5--
--3-----------
--------------

It just seems odd to change the pattern...
Thanks!

Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Hi Erin,

For the G minor chord, the notes are G - Bb - D (- G). The Bb is in the 4th string, 6th fret, and also in the 3th string, 1st fret. For the minor seventh you need to add the b7. The G minor seventh is G - Bb - D - F (- G). F is in 2nd string, 3rd fret.

For the C chords. The notes are C - Eb - G and Bb. Eb is in 3rd string, 6th fret, and also 2nd string, 1st fret.

So, the fingerings are equivalent, you are playing the same notes. Both fingerings are used, it depends on context and previous/next notes and chords. Sometimes is easier to move the hand "up" or "down" the fretboard.

And welcome to GN!

ReplyQuote
(@erinjackson)
Topic starter  

Thanks!
So I basically just need to memorize more than one way because it helps me down the road when moving up and down the fret board? I can handle that.
Just wanted to make sure there wasn't something I weas totally missing!

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Personally, I play most minor runs one way, and the major runs the other. I don't like 4 fret stretches.

Original minor arpeggio:
-----------------
------------5--
-----3---6-----

Minor 7th
-----------------
------------5--
-----3---6-----

Major with flat-7
-----------------
--------2----5--
-----3--------

Blues walk
-----------------
----------------2--3--2--
--------2---5------------5--2--
-----3--------------------------3--

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Usually I don't use patterns, I play the notes. The 3rd minor is in two frets. If you know that, you can choose which one is better in each situation. Perhaps, you want to omit the 5th and the next note is nearest to the one or other fret.

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

Personally, I play most minor runs one way, and the major runs the other. I don't like 4 fret stretches.

Original minor arpeggio:
-----------------
------------5--
-----3---6-----

Minor 7th
-----------------
------------5--
-----3---6-----

Major with flat-7
-----------------
--------2----5--
-----3--------

Blues walk
-----------------
----------------2--3--2--
--------2---5------------5--2--
-----3--------------------------3--

That's what I do too. If I'm playing a major, I typically start w/ my middle finger on the root and if it's minor, my index finger is on the root.

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote
(@erinjackson)
Topic starter  

Thanks. Yeah, I assumed to do the majors beginning on my middle finger and my minors on my index. But the pattern "The Idiot's Guide" uses for the minor arpeggios is similar to "Boogie On Reggae Woman". So, I figured there was something going on here. Thanks for all the tips everyone. I can see many thoughts I had are status quo depending on the player and the situation. I definitely need to memorize more notes on the fret board too.

ReplyQuote