Clear all

My bass goes twang....

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@poppaduck)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

So I went to play my acoustic fretless last night and hit a snag.

It tuned up fine, but when I went to play anything on the G string between the 3rd and 5th frets it goes twang/thunk.
The string tunes fine and sounds fine when played open or fretted below the 3rd or above the 5th, it's just those few that go twang.
I tried loosening and re-adjusting the string but it's the same thing. I know it's not a fret issue since it's fretless - so it's either neck or string.
Since I can't get it to the music store for a few days, but I can stop by an pick up a set of strings, I'm wondering if anyone thinks that the string died and all I need to do is change them?

-PD

(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Sounds like your neck has a slight backward bow to it. Have you tried slightly loosening the truss rod?

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

G string only? Could be more of a twist in the neck. You might take it to a pro.

Any changes in the weather since you last played it? Very dry due to winter heat? Too cold from riding in the trunk?

ReplyQuote
(@poppaduck)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Slej - thanks for the hint I loosened the truss rod slightly and it's seems to have improved - I'm letting it sit overnight to see what happens.

Laz - yes only the G string - that's what had me confused. The bass hasn't been outside, but with the wacky weather here in NY, it is possible that the temps had something to do with it.

Any way a slight loosening of the truss rod seems to have improved the situation. I'll monitor it and see what happens next.

Thanks to all...
-PD

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Laz may be right, the neck could be twisted; but it could also be that one string's action is set lower than the others, thus making it more prone to problems if neck relief isn't enough. Hopefully the truss rod tweak is all you need.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@poppaduck)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Well it's almost a week later and the bass still sounds fine. Thanks for the suggestions.

ReplyQuote