My new toy

10 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@jmb-d)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hi Gang -- looooong time no see...

I've got a new (to me) toy:!: -- a Michael Kelly Dragonfly (4-string, acoustic-electric) that I bought on eBay the other week. I'd kinda had my eye on an MK a/e bass ever since the 2004 Riverside Jam, when I had the opportunity to play Karen's Firefly.

Lee had booked a vacation for us and the kids and said that she'd be taking a guitar along; when I whined that I didn't want to drag the RIC (or even the Yamaha) and an amp along, she said that I could go ahead and buy a Dragonfly (which I'd been researching online). The typical price I'd found online was $499 (with free shipping) and then add another $60 for a gig bag.

Just for yuks, I decided to check eBay again, and found a ton of 5-string MK basses (both fretted and fretless) and several 4-string fretless models, but very few 4-string fretted ones. I did a double-take when I saw the listing for a 4-string with a hardshell case and a starting bid of just $400 -- and no bids yet. I placed my bid, crossed my fingers and counted the hours until the end of the auction. I was at work when the auction closed, but as soon as I got home I checked... and I'd won!

Fast-forward to last Tuesday, when the UPS tracking info told me that the bass would be delivered on Wednesday -- the very day we were headed out of town. D'aaaah! I woke up early the next day and called UPS, only to be told that the package was already on the truck, and no, they wouldn't pull it out so that I could come pick it up. The nice woman on the other end of the phone did promise to leave a note for the driver, asking him to see what he could in order to make the delivery before mid-day, which is when I'd told her I'd planned to leave. Truth be told, I knew that getting out of the house with the 4-year-old twins and the 4-month-old infant would be a challenge before 1pm, but I didn't have to tell her that. At 0930 that morning, *knock* *knock* *ding* *dong* there's a package on my door -- my bass had arrived! I shouted "Thank you!" to the driver as he sprinted back to his truck, then carried my new treasure inside.

Here's a picture (it's the one from the auction):

The bass is in great shape, with no discernible marks; the strings are in good condition, and the action is just fine. Oh, and it sounds good, too. I'm a happy guy. 8)

Lee and I managed to play a few Beatles tunes together while on vacation, and plan to play more as we get more time. Our new family member enjoys her playing/singing immensely, and the twins sing along when we play.

Life is good.

In walking, just walk. In sitting, just sit. Above all, don't wobble.
-- Yun-Men

(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Whoa, VERY nice!

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

If that sounds as SWEEEEEEEEEET as it looks, you are never going to want to put it down!

Congratulations!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

8)

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

Congrats on the MK Dragonfly, Jon! Looking forward to hearing you play again next time you're up this way. Keep August of 2007 open :wink:

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@justin_bass-god)
Eminent Member

ReplyQuote
(@jmb-d)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Congrats on the MK Dragonfly, Jon! Looking forward to hearing you play again next time you're up this way. Keep August of 2007 open :wink:

Thanks, David!

We've already got the Jam figured into our vacation plans. By that time our latest addition may be up to tambourine duty. :D

-- Yun-Men

ReplyQuote
 Oric
(@oric)
Estimable Member

That bass is sexy.

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

OMG is that ever the coolest!!!!

Very nice!!!

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@jmb-d)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks, oric & Bish --

I'm quite pleased with it.

I'm going to do my best to take some photos of it this weekend. If I get a good shot of the dragonfly, I'll use it as my avatar... :wink:

-- Yun-Men

ReplyQuote