Neck-thru: Pros and cons

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@mhxanhma)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hello everybody

I'll get right to the point: Are neck-thru basses better than bolt-on or set-in neck configurations? If so, why? In other words: what are the pros and cons of neck thru basses?
I have a bolt on neck bass and I was thinking it's about time I bought a neck-thru bass, but I live in the mountains so there's too much humidity and maybe that would be bad for the neck-thru configuration.

Thanks!

Johann Sebastian Bass

(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

I don't think you'll see musch difference either way. Humidity changes are more dangerous than just a lot of humidity. Also, most acoustic guitars have set necks, and they do fine everywhere.

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I would have thought that a bolt-on or set neck would be worse for humidity based problems, due to the fact that you are usually joining two different kinds of wood, each with it's own reaction to humidity.
A neck-through has one piece of wood, from front to back and will react more uniformly to humidity.

That's my tuppenneth, for what it's worth

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

I remember hearing something about neck-thru guitars (and basses too probably) have better sustain, which would make sense since it's one piece of wood. I don't know for sure, but just another thought.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

I've heard that too, but I don't believe it. If anything I'd think the glue would make it have less sustain than a wood-on-wood bolt on. I'm thinking that the short string length and hard tail on a Les Paul and the longer length and floating trem on a Strat led to that belief.

ReplyQuote